Thursday, June 16, 2011

Jacob Patek is thankful to be able to play football again

VA = Victoria Advocate


VA Note: "Jacob Patek figured he was done with football. Patek was quite content working for Ganem & Kelly Surveyors in the Victoria area. Patek had squeezed the most out of football in high school at Memorial, on the collegiate level at Blinn College and the University of Hawaii, and professionally with a brief foray in the Canadian Football League with Hamilton and Montreal. Patek earned a degree in history at Hawaii in 2008 and was ready to embark on a new phase of his life after returning to Victoria."


About how he enjoyed his job, Patek said:
"I enjoyed being outside. It was something I could see myself doing." (VA)


About how Jerry Glanville told him that he was taking over the UFL team in Hartford, Patek said:
"I came home from work and heard he had gotten the job. The next day I was at work and had a thought - God, if you want me to do this have him call me. I'd rather it be God doing it than me going out on a limb. The next day Glanville called me." (VA)


About how he remembered how Patek played for him at UH, Glanville said:
"Patek can cover the slot or line up inside on a tight end, He can play the run like a linebacker and blitz the quarterback with quickness." (VA)


About being invited by Glanville to tryout for the Colonials in Houston in May, Patek said:
"I had been working out in Victoria on my own. My dad and I began putting together a gym in our garage last Christmas. I never really stopped having the desire to play football. I just thought it was time to move on with my life." (VA)


VA Note: "Glanville and assistant Bill Bradley were pleased with the 6-foot, 207-pound Patek's coverage skills, but the true test would come in the 40-yard dash. Patek not only impressed Glanville and Bradley, he surprised himself when he was clocked in 4.41 seconds. Glanville had Patek run the 40 again, and he finished with the identical time."


About running 4.41 times in the 40, Patek said:
"I hadn't run that fast on a coach's clock for a while. It felt really good. When my dad told me what time I had run, I was elated. I went back to the car and called my mom and broke down a little." (VA)


About offering Patek a free-agent contract, Glanville said:
"He's a good hitter who competes. He's a very good person inside. Who wouldn't want Jacob on their team?" (VA)


About taking Glanville's offer right away, Patek said:
"Coach Glanville told me there were two more tryouts and I could go home and cry about it first if I wanted to. I told him let's do it right now." (VA)


About playing for Glanville, Patek said:
"I do feel like I can go up there with a little more confidence. I know what he expects of me. I plan on going up there and doing my best." (VA)


About making the most of his last pro football opportunity, Patek said:
"The main thing that's really happened for me is maturing a little more. In Hawaii, my work ethic wasn't always the greatest. Training the past year and a half by myself, I've gotten better.  I see it more as a blessing than something I have a right to. I'm taking it day by day. I'm not necessarily looking too far into the future. I'm going to enjoy the moment." (VA)

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/jun/15/mf_onsports_061611_143046/?viewpoints

No comments:

Post a Comment