Friday, April 15, 2011

Feature article on Darryl McBride

About how he moved from Philadelphia to California during the summer before his senior year in high school, Darryl McBride said:
"It is true. I was having problems back in Philly. It all worked out." (HSA)


About how McBright has been making plays for them in their elephant position (stand-up rush DE in the 4-3 and an OLB in the 3-4), Dave Aranda said:
"Whenever we put him in, he makes plays for us. He's a special player." (HSA)


Looking forward to playing in the Warrior Bowl, McBride said:
"I'm looking forward to it. I want to show what I've learned." (HSA)


About how his mother died when he was 8, and how nobody will tell him what caused her death, McBride said:
"It was tough. My family won't really tell me. I hear so many stories." (HSA)


About moving from California to live with his Dad, grandmother and 5 sisters, McBride said:
"Being the only boy, a lot of stuff fell on me. I had a lot of anger stored up in me. There were ups and downs. When there were downs, I felt the pressure." (HSA)


About how he discovered football at the start of his sophomore year in high school, McBride said:
"I was raised in a tough home. I couldn't get my anger out. I found it in football. I started playing that." (HSA)


About how he realized he needed to move after his sophomore year at William Penn High and his junior year at Germantown High, McBride said:
"I saw where my life was heading. There were some (teammates) who went to big schools, some who went the other way. I could see myself going downhill. I felt moving (back) to California was the best decision." (HSA)


HSA Note: "McBride did well at Mendocino. But because there was uncertainty when he would earn an associate's degree — an eligibility requirement for a player transferring to a Division I-A school — solid offers melted.  McBride and Mendocino running back Sterling Jackson contacted UH associate head coach Rich Miano, who is in charge of the Warriors' walk-on program."


About how he's using loans, grants, financial aid and help for his grandmother to pay for UH, McBride said:
"I'm working hard, trying to get my grades up. All I can do is control what I do. The coaches make the decisions on how much I'll play." (HSA)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110415_McBride_is_making_a_smooth_transition.html

No comments:

Post a Comment