Thursday, September 23, 2010

Warrior Quotes from the Star-Advertiser 9/23/10 (5 sports made a profit, Salas targeted less, team practiced in the rain)

Happy that 5 sports (football, men's basketball, baseball, men's and women's volleyball) made a profit last year, JD said:
"We're glad that five of our sports appear to be showing profits on direct revenues and expenses. The coaches and staff have done a good job keeping (expenses) under control." (HSA)


Happy with the profit made by men's volleyball and baseball after years of losses, JD said:
"They are trending positively for the future." (HSA)


About how Salas has been getting a lot less passes thrown his way this season, waiting until the 13th play against Colorado for a pass his way and the middle of the 2nd quarter against USC and just being targeted 4 times in the 4th quarter in 3 games, Rolo said:
"Last year, with everything that happened, we had to feed him a little bit. He made a lot of plays for us. (This season) I think the guys have gotten better around him. ... I think the confidence has spread out. The talent has evened out. The hard work all around makes it difficult for someone to key on one player. It opens up the offense." (HSA)


About how defenses are focused on Salas and that opens things up for their other receivers, Bryant Moniz said:
"Everybody is concerned about Greg after what happened last year. It opens it up for the other guys. Now everybody is having good games. Greg doesn't have as many touchdowns as last year, but he's still getting a lot of catches, and helping the other receivers." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Of the 30 plays when he was the intended receiver, Salas has made catches 80 percent of the time, a higher efficiency rating than the ones achieved by former Warriors Davone Bess, Ashley Lelie, Ryan Grice-Mullins and Chad Owens."


About how moved from left wideout to slot before last season and defenses overlooked him, Salas said:
"I didn't have any attention toward me (from defenses). I was new at the slot. I was able to make the most of it. (This year) I don't know if I'm getting doubled more. I don't know if (defenses) are paying more attention to me. I don't think I'm sneaking up on anybody this year." (HSA)


About UH's promotional campaign for him including the website catchgregsalas.com, Salas said it:
"is all for fun. I don't think about that kind of stuff. When I go out there, I'm thinking about football." (HSA)


About being a team captain, Salas smiled and said:
"I can't mess around as much in practice. I try to lead by example, and play as hard as I can." (HSA)


About practicing in the rain yesterday, Bryant Moniz said:
"It's not a big deal. It rains all of the time in Wahiawa, at least two times out of the week. I grew up in the rain." (HSA)


About how they want to correct the things they have done wrong in their first 3 games, Mack said:
"We want to refine everything, and correct any mistakes we've done in the last three weeks." (HSA)


Asked what the weather forecast is for tomorrow's practice, Moniz said:
"It doesn't matter. We want to be an all-weather team." (HSA)


Not bothered by the rain, DT Siasau Matagiese (who transferred from Portland State) said:
"Rain is nice. I'd rather be cold than hot." (HSA)


HSA Note: "The Waimea High graduate played for Portland State last year, and began pondering a transfer after the Vikings' coaching staff was fired in December. He participated in spring training before requesting -- and receiving -- a release from his football scholarship."



http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100923_Scoreless_slotback_Salas_opens_field_for_other_receivers.html

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100923_Warriors_weather_wet_practice.html

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100923_Money_talks_in_Manoa.html

No comments:

Post a Comment