Friday, September 24, 2010

Ka Leo Feature on Vaughn Meatoga

KL = Ka Leo


DT coach Tony Tuioti said that what he likes about the Warrior defense is that:
"all of (the) guys are young and anxious to work and help this team in any way they can." (KL)


About how Vaughn Meatoga is the leader of UH's defense, Tuioti said:
"(He) is a leader of our defense." (KL)


About how he had to overcome jealousy from teammates when he started playing football in Kalaheo, Kauai, Meatoga said:
"I started playing pop warner on KauaŹ»i in fifth grade and I remember I used to hate it. All the guys that played for a while picked on me because I took their positions. The coaches liked me because I was tall and lanky. Eventually I got over it and started liking football." (KL)


About how he moved to Oahu for his freshman year of high school to attend Kamehameha (he helped them to a state title in 2005 and was 2nd team all-state in 2007) and had to adjust to his new lifestyle, Meatoga said:
"School and life in general was a lot different. iving in the dorms you have to grow up faster, do your own laundry and learn time management." (KL)


About how it was hard to be away from home and try to make the football team, Meatoga said:
"Football was overwhelming – trying to make one of two teams out of about 200 kids (trying out). I was only 5-foot-7 (my) freshman year so I didn't have a lot of confidence." (KL)


About how he worked hard to make the team, Meatoga said:
"I like football and I wanted to get good at it." (KL)


about how his parents are his inspiration and gave his his work ethic, Meatoga said:
"Whatever I did, my parents would help me. They went out and got me books to study and when I wanted to give up they reminded me of my goals and that everything has a purpose.  At 5-years-old, I would help my dad mow lawns and cut down trees. He instilled hard work in me." (KL)


About how his mother passed away during his freshman year at UH but she never out of his mind, Meatoga said:
"My mom always said to never be satisfied. Whenever I had a good game she always told me you could have worked harder. It brings back the point that there is always room for improvement." (KL)


About how he honors his mother during every year, Meatoga said:
"Every time I make a play I point up to the sky for my mom." (KL)


KL Note: "Meatoga has a younger sister and brother; whenever he feels like quitting he thinks of his goal – to give them a good life. He said his influence on them reminds him of why he works so hard."


About how his dad and siblings try to see every game even though they live on Kauai, Meatoga said:
"They flew out to New York and Colorado to see me play." (KL)


About how Meatoga is important to their team, Tuioti said:
"We've got a lot of players that lead in their own way, but Vaughn is the vocal leader and the heartbeat of the group." (KL)


http://www.kaleo.org/sports/meatoga-the-heartbeat-of-warrior-d-line-1.2341585

No comments:

Post a Comment