Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Feature on George Daily-Lyles

About how his childhood goals included going to USC, George Daily-Lyles said:
"It was supposed to be Long Beach Poly, USC, NFL. We had to switch it up. It's Long Beach Poly, Hawaii Warriors and who knows where it goes from there." (HSA)


About how schools like USC were "looking at" him until they found out his real height, Daily-Lyles said:
"I went to a couple of camps, and then the phone calls stopped when they saw my real height. I was, like, 'OK.' It was a life lesson right there. It's all a business." (HSA)


About how UH didn't care about his 5' 10.75" height, Daily-Lyles said:
"Some teams saw my height, and were scared off. Hawaii believed in me." (HSA)


About starting at MLB against USC, Daily-Lyles said:
"I'm excited about that." (HSA)


About how his body type is not typical for a MLB, Daily-Lyles said:
"I'm lower-heavy instead of top-heavy. I've got built-in leverage. I've got a nice center of gravity." (HSA)


About how he likes playing LB, Daily-Lyles said:
"My coach in high school told me a linebacker only needs 10 yards up, 10 yards back, and 10 yards side to side. That's where you need to be good. I guess I fit that part. I feel good playing in the box. I like to think, 'the bigger they are, the harder they fall.' " (HSA)


About how he was immediately put on the OL when he started Pop Warner football, Daily-Lyles said with a smile:
"Let's put the fat kid on the line." (HSA)


About how he didn't like football at first, Daily-Lyles said:
"I was 7. I wanted to go home and play around in the yard instead of being out there with a helmet on." (HSA)


About how he loved football once the hitting started, Daily-Lyles said:
"I put somebody on his back, and that feeling was like euphoria. That first taste of blood. It's like a shark in the water. You sniff it out, and you get it." (HSA)


About being raised in Long Beach and playing for Poly, Daily-Lyles said:
"Long Beach Poly is in my blood. My brothers went there. My cousins went there. I guess from the womb it was destined for me to go there and play football." (HSA)


About how he became friends with Billy Ray Stutzmann and the Stutzmann family took him in as a hanai son, Daily-Lyles said:
"They took me in. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. They're like my second family. Without them, I would be a lost kid out here trying to find his way. Right now, I've got a family to fit in." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100831_Middle_hitter.html#axzz0yBuCT7PP

No comments:

Post a Comment