Saturday, May 1, 2010

Quotes from UH's Final Scrimmage

Praising Chizzy Dimude's play (52 yards and a TD on 4 carries yesterday), Rolo said:
"He's doing everything possible to get out there and be a difference-maker for us." (HA)


Chizzy said that he wasn't going to let his injured groin slow him down:
"after that first (28-yard) run I was a little sore but I was running on adrenaline. But, I'm here to make the most of my opportunities." (HA)

"It really feels good. With all the fans out there I was just trying to put on a show for them. I didn't know how I was going to do, my groin's been messing with me all spring but I felt I did all right just coming out here and showing what I've got. Our O-line did really good making the holes and we just ran through them." (HSB)


About getting just 11 carries over 6 games last season, Chizzy said:
"It was frustrating but I wasn't mad about it; I just tried to hold my head up. Now, this is my senior year so I'm not holding anything back. I'm putting everything into it." (HA)


HA Note: "It has been the kind of performance that suggests the Warriors will be blessed with a 1-2 combination at running back with Green and Dimude, who both scored touchdowns in the scrimmage . While the 6-foot, 2-inch, 230-pound Green provides the crunch, Dimude, who is 5-feet, 9 inches and 190 pounds, operates with elusiveness."


Happy with how they ran the ball yesterday, David Graves said:
"I felt we did really well. We ran the ball awesome. We have some great weapons in our backfield, with AG and Chizzy, we call them the peanut butter and jelly — hit them with the PB and J. They played really well; the line played really well tonight. I felt like the offense was clicking." (HA)

"You don't even know what it's like to get in the huddle and know that I have weapons sitting right next to me. A.G. and Chizzy are just straight weapons, give them the ball and they're going to get some big time yards this year." (HSB)


About how they showed the effectiveness of their running game, Chizzy said:
"We really showed we could run the ball, we are dependable; we can get five yards, 10 yards. We can make big plays. I tell (offensive coordinator Nick Rolovich) that all the time, 'Let's just run the ball.' " (HA)


HA Note: "The Warriors executed about 80 plays, with punts and field goals — kicker Scott Enos made his at 27, 44 and 47 yards —including overtime and two-minute drill sessions. Green and Dimude, along with quarterback Brent Rausch, accounted for all the touchdowns, all on runs."


About his performance, Chizzy said:
"I didn't know how I was going to do today because my groin has been hurting. I felt like I did alright, I just need to tighten up a couple of things. Me and AG out there, just the whole running back core and the linemen blocking and everything. Once we get it down, it's going to be really good." (HA)


Gaining confidence from his performance, Chizzy said:
"It's a confidence booster, I'm not gonna lie. I just can't wait to get into summer and get bigger, stronger and faster. I know I'm going be healthy and can't wait until fall camp." (HSB)


After they scored all their TDs with their running game, Mack said that he thought:
"our running game looked good. I thought the guys blocked it up front, and everybody played hard on both sides of the ball." (HA)


About how they had wanted to get certain looks for each RB and QB yesterday, Brian Smith said:
"We got what we wanted out of AG and Chizzy as far as the looks we wanted to see from them. They both executed really well and did a good job of what they can do for us next year." (HA)


About how they do not have a #1 QB yet, Mack said:
"There's really not a depth chart. Obviously (Bryant) Moniz is going to be in the mix also really soon, so I think our quarterbacks have done a good job all spring and when we put Moniz in there, we have a good situation at quarterback." (HA)


About how their QBs performed this spring, Rolo said that:
"the young guys were getting a lot of reps, and Brent did a great job tonight. We've been waiting to see that out of him. Cayman Shutter drove us down the field in the two-minute drill and got us a field goal. David Graves continues to impress. There's a lot of things to take into consideration." (HA)


HA Note: "Shane Austin and Graves took reps with with first team, with Austin completing 5-of-8 passes for 46 yards and two interceptions and Graves going 4 of 6 for 46 yards. Rausch, with the No. 2s, was 11 of 18 for 93 yards. Defensively, tackle Vaughn Meatoga led the Warriors with two sacks. Defensive backs Kawika Borden, Richard Torres and Jordan Gomes also recorded interceptions."


About getting both of their sacks yesterday, Meatoga said:
"Coach Tony (Tuioti) emphasizes making big plays and getting into quarterback's faces. It just messes them up, messing their tempo up, and they are thinking of the next time they are dropping back, if they are going to see some big guy running at them. I think we did a good job disrupting the offense." (HA)


About how their progress this Spring puts them "in a good position" for summer workouts to prepare for the season, Meatoga said:
"We're starting to get that swagger that coach is talking about." (HA)


About delivering the hardest hit of yesterday's scrimmage when he hit slotback Ryan Henry, CB Steve Stepter said:
"It was a zone coverage and I was looking for that. I was concentrating on my man and I saw him coming out, and he caught it before I could get there so I just wanted to make the tackle." (HA)


About not noticing the crowd reacting to his hit, Stepter said:
"when I hit people I don't really hear it. I just hear my players." (HA)


About that hit, Henry said he was:
"just trying to get away from Spencer (Smith) and get out of bounds at the same time. I'm OK. I just had to gain my composure for one play, and then come back in. But it's all good though." (HA)


Praising Henry, Royce Pollard said:
"He's a beast, though." (HA)


About the 3 INTs their defense made yesterday, Richard Torres said:
"It goes to show the competition is up there. As long as everybody's making plays it shows we're moving in the right direction." (HSB)


Proud of the way that his defense played, Dave Aranda said:
"The thing I'm most proud of is the defensive guys feel good about themselves. They hit people, they feel like they can swarm to the ball and they feel like they can compete with anybody. I don't know that we felt that at this time last year. I think if we have that, the other things as coaches we can get done." (HSB)


About matching up Richard Torres and QB David Graves in the first pride drill yesterday, Mack said:
"I just wanted to see how tough he is. He's always telling me how tough he is." (HSB)


Walking by Mack when he said that, Graves said:
"I am tough, Coach. I am tough." (HSB)


About how Torres (former state champion wrestler) quickly took him down, Graves said:
"I was all right with it. I was like, 'Let's go.' Then he got me, fast." (HSB)


Praising his OL for how he wasn't touched during the scrimmage, Graves said:
"Mad props to the line." (HSB)


Praising Graves, Mack said:
"He can throw it and he can run it, too." (HSB)


http://www.starbulletin.com/columnists/furtherreview/20100501_pride_drills_prove_players_mettle_at_spring_finale.html

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/20100501_warriors_leave_with_a_spring_in_their_step.html

http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100501/COLUMNISTS06/5010342/1142&template=UHSports

http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100501/SPORTS0201/5010352&template=UHsports

No comments:

Post a Comment