Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Warrior Quotes 4/20/10

About giving him new duties in his role as their #1 right slotback, lining up wide, in the slot, in the backfield, and in motion, to help get one of their playmakers to make plays, Kealoha Pilares said:
"We've been talking about it for years. Finally, we're getting around to installing it." (HA)


Asked about being more disciplined in the weight room and more assertive on the field, Pilares said:
"I'm taking it one day at a time. That's what I've been thinking about. It's my last year. You never know if you'll be playing football again. I'm just living it up, having fun, and taking it day by day." (HA)


HA Note: "As a slotback in 2009, Pilares caught 71.4 percent of the passes in which he was the primary target. As a wideout, his completion efficiency dropped to 47.8 percent."


About how he understood their offense better after he was moved to wideout, Pilares said:
"Moving to wideout made everything more understandable. Now, you're not just running a route, you're running a concept. Now I understand why I was running the route, and how it would affect the other receivers." (HA)


HA Note: "Pilares also said he understands the benefits of the offseason conditioning program. As a Damien Memorial student, Pilares hardly lifted weights. Now he can bench press a maximum 330 pounds. This spring, he had the best power clean among the Warriors, lifting
365 pounds."


About how he gained confidence from working hard in the weight room, Pilares said:
"Getting in the weight room gives you a little more confidence. You don't feel scared or anything. You can imagine my freshman year how scared I was going against (linebacker) Blaze (Soares) and (rush end David) Veikune in practice. I was this little guy. It was hard." (HA)


HA Note: "Pilares, who is 5 feet 10, has gained about 25 pounds during his UH career, and now weighs 200."


HA Note: "Not only is he an efficient blitzer, but he is an aggressive run-stopper and, even, a capable pass defender. Paredes remains on the field when the Warriors shift from their base 4-3 alignment to a 4-2-5 nickel defense."


About his fierce play on the field, weakside LB Corey Paredes said:
"The coaches gave a talk that some leaders have to step up. I want to be a leader, so I changed my demeanor a little bit." (HA)


About his on-field emotions, Paredes said:
"It's hard to have friends on (the other team) on the field. You have to work with your teammates as a battle unit. If it takes having a serious attitude, that's what I'll do." (HA)


About how some players lose their edge after earning a scholarship like he did, Paredes said:
"We see it sometimes. I'm thankful for (the scholarship). I'm grateful to the coaches. But having a scholarship is not going to change how hard I work. I'm working just as hard." (HA)


About the big hits he has been taking during Spring Practice, Ryan Henry said:
"That's part of the game. I'm trying to show the coaches I can take hits, that I'm ready to play at this level." (HA)


HA Note: "Last spring, Henry was uneven, mixing spectacular catches with untimely drops. He entered training camp behind Pilares and Dustin Blount at right slotback. Eventually, Blount would slip on the depth chart because of a severe hamstring injury, and Pilares would move to left slotback. But it was Medeiros, not Henry, who would elevate to No. 1 right slotback."


About not being able to earn a starting spot, Henry said:
"It gets frustrating. I came in with big expectations." (HA)


Working hard and waiting for his chance, Henry said:
"I'm waiting on my opportunity. All I can do is play hard and not show any bad body language. ... I had dreams. I want to continue to play after this. I don't want this to be the end of it. I have to keep working hard. That's all I can control." (HA)


About how his main goal is a team goal, Henry said:
"The main thing is I want to go to a bowl game. That matters the most." (HA)


HSB Note: "Pollard has been working with the first unit on the right side (Z receiver) and is being pushed by redshirt freshman Billy Ray Stutzmann. The left side (X receiver) — where Bradley lined up last year before his injury — is led by Joe Avery, Mike Tinoco and newcomer Darius Bright."


Not letting the competition for their starting wideout spots bother him, Joe Avery said:
"I don't try to add any extra pressure on myself. I just take a day at a time." (HSB)


Coming back strong from his injury, Pollard said:
"I feel real comfortable out there, just getting back on track. I got hurt it was a downer. The main thing is you come back strong and keep pushing like I always was." (HSB)


About the chemistry between their receivers, Pollard said:
"We've got a good feel for how each other works. The first three days of spring I felt like when we came off the line we were all in unison when we watched on film. We've all got each other's back and we're all working to get the other person open." (HSB)


About needing to be consistent, Joe Avery said:
"One thing that makes a receiver great is consistency. The saying goes 'consistently good is better than occasionally great.' ... Once I nail down those little things, then the big plays will come eventually." (HSB)


About how they are using their scrimmages to test their receivers, Ron Lee said:
"What's good is we're giving them a lot of situations, third and 8, third and 10. And what they need to understand is it's not like 7-on-7. Giving them these situations, now we lose the ball if we drop the ball on the third down. We've got a lot of stuff in, now we're going to spend a lot of time going back and working on all that stuff." (HSB)


About how their wideouts help make space for their slots to operate, Avery said:
"What makes our offense work is if all four of us work together. Everybody has to be on point with their assignment and running for each other and not just for ourselves. We know Greg and Kealoha proved themselves over the past few years, so it's our job to play more together and make the offense work." (HSB)


Happy with the rul outlawing more than 2 players to form a wedge for blocking on kickoffs, Chris Tormey said:
"I think it's a good rule. When you look at the concussions and shoulder injuries over the years in college football, it was something that needed to be done. We'll just make an adjustment. It might call for a little more scheming. We might have to give more varied looks back there, but we'll adjust." (HSB)


http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100420/SPORTS0201/4200346/1035/sportsfront&template=UHSports/Pilares+is+starring+in+playmaker+role

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/20100420_Receiver_jobs_wide_open.html

No comments:

Post a Comment