Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Feature stories on Jon Medeiros, other Warrior notes

About the importance of the bus being on time, Jon Medeiros (who lives in Makakilo) said:
"If a bus runs late, I'm going to be late for practice." (HA)


HA Note: "Because it takes three bus routes to travel to the Manoa campus, Medeiros has to awaken at 4:15 every morning. He said it is a 10-minute ride to the bus center in Kapolei. He transfers to a bus that takes 40 minutes to travel to 'Iolani Palace. From there, he transfers to a bus bound for University Avenue.


About how he hasn't been late to a practice or meeting this season,Medeiros said:
"It's about timing." (HA)


About how the scholarship would have covered his dorm fee, Medeiros said:
"I live at home for free." (HA)


About how Medeiros hasn't changed his work ethic since he was awarded a scholarship before the season, Mac said:
"He keeps improving." (HA)


About how he was listed as a co-#1 slotback after Spring Practice, but then Greg Salas was moved from left wideout to slotback and Kealoha Pilares was moved from RB to slotback to fill the starting spots, Medeiros said:
"I had a scholarship, but I didn't have a (starting) job. I wasn't salty about anything. My mentality was to work harder to earn playing time. I figured this was my last season. I wasn't going to give up. I was going to continue to grind on the field and in the weight room. When they call your number, you have to be ready. The only way I could show them I was ready was in practice." (HA)


HA Note: "When left wideout Rodney Bradley suffered a broken fibula and tibia in his left leg, Pilares moved to wideout and Medeiros was promoted to No. 1 right slotback. In five games as a starter, Medeiros has 31 catches for 435 yards and two touchdowns. Of his 40 overall catches, 22 have gone for first downs and 13 were at least 15 yards. In third-and-7-plus situations, he has achieved first downs five of six times."


HA Note: "And he is largely unrecognized on the bus. But, he noted, the Makakilo-to-Kapolei bus driver "always says, 'Good morning,' " Medeiros said. "I say, 'Mahalo,' and, 'May I have bus transfers?' " "


About how the WRs need to bond with their QBs for the offense to run smoothly, Medeiros said:
"A lot of times you have to be quarterback-friendly, which was something Davone (Bess) was really good at. Knowing where he's going to be, knowing where the open areas are, Colt (Brennan) could just throw the ball in one area before he even makes his break and Davone's there. That's something in this system that really needs to be established." (HSB)


About his 10 catches for 149 yards from Shane Austin's passes in the SJSU game, Medeiros said:
"I don't know what it was, but we had something going." (HSB)


HSB Note: "Four of Medeiros' catches came with the Warriors facing long-yardage situations. He made a 21-yard reception after penalties forced UH into a first-and-20 in the first half. He converted another first down on a third-and-19 late in regulation."


About the big plays that Medeiros made in the SJSU game, Greg Salas said:
"Jon was so clutch in that game. I kept coming up to him like, 'That's a big catch, we need that.' He kept coming through for us and it was great to see. Third-and-20 and Jon's coming up with another big catch in double coverage." (HSB)


About how their offense is starting to get into sync, Medeiros said:
"We're starting to get that consistency and we're starting to build that confidence back up and everybody's just believing that we can do it. We've overcome so much adversity and we just have to keep going and rise to the occasion." (HSB)


About how he has just 2 regular season games left in his UH career, Medeiros said:
"I'm just trying to play my hardest, have fun out here on the practice field while I can, because I know once it's gone, I'm going to miss it." (HSB)


About making big plays in the SJSU game after missing games due to injury, Jeramy Bryant said:
"It was a big confidence booster for me personally, just knowing I could still do the things I used to do." (HSB)


HSB Note: "Bryant recovered a fumble on San Jose State's last possession of regulation and broke up a fourth-down pass in overtime to end the game."


About breaking up SJSU's final pass in overtime, Bryant said:
"That was a great call by the coaches and God put me in position. Confidence starts building up and you start wanting them to throw at you because you know you can make those plays." (HSB)


About dealing with the discomfort from his injured foot, Greg Salas said:
"You pop a couple of Advil, get some treatment, make sure it's warm, and you'll feel a lot better." (HA)


"It's kind of in the back of your mind a little bit, but I played through it and felt good during the game. I feel better and better as time goes on." (HSB)


http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091125/SPORTS0201/911250351&template=UHsports

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/sportsnews/20091125_Medeiros_catches_on_at_slot.html

No comments:

Post a Comment