Friday, October 30, 2009

UH deals with the cold in Reno, Cayman Shutter is part of the travel roster

Ten minutes after the finished their 2-hour practice, Kenny Estes ran from one of the team buses back to Bishop Monogue High field and UH spokesman Derek Inouchi yelled to Estes:
"What are you getting?" (HA)


Estes replied:
"My slippers." (HA)


HA Note: "Yesterday, in their final full practice before tomorrow's road game against Nevada, the Warriors had a full-padding practice. Some wore athletic tights. Most wore long-sleeved shirts under their jerseys. During a break, defensive tackle Vaughn Meatoga was in a crouch, squeezing instant-heating pads."


About how he was cold during a break in practice, Vaughn Meatoga said:
"I didn't dress for this." (HA)


About how he wore shorts, Leon Wright-Jackson (who was raised in Washington) said:
"What's the big deal?" (HA)


About how the temperature in the 40s won't bother his players, Mac said:
"Cold?" This isn't cold. The only one who didn't adjust was (defensive coordinator) Cal Lee. He wore his gloves. He has to toughen up. But the players are fine." (HA)

"This is great, this is football weather." (HSB)


About how they used him to portray both Vai Taua (5'10", 220-pounds) and Luke Lippincott (6'2", 215-pounds) in practice yesterday, Jayson Rego (5'10", 210-pounds) said:
"I like to think I'm muscular. I had no idea who I was. I tried to give the defense a good look. It was fun. It's always good to get hit." (HA)


HA Note: "In an 11-on-11 defensive drill, linebacker Jake Heun put an orange cap on his helmet to indicate he would be playing for the scout offense, which usually wears white. Heun, wearing a green jersey, aligned as a tight end on the right side. After the snap, he rolled to his left and floored defensive end Fetaiagogo Fonoti. Heun was greeted with rousing cheers from teammates. Fonoti, who fell on his wallet, was stunned."


About being hit by Jake Heun, Fetaiagogo Fonoti said:
"I didn't know he was on offense. I saw the green jersey. Then — boom! — oh, my. What was even worse I still didn't know he was on offense. I thought he was on defense and hit me by accident. 'Oh, damn, Jake.' Then everybody was like, 'Good hit, Jake,' and I'm like, 'hell, no.' "(HA)


About how the chill and thin air did not affect his throws, Bryant Moniz said:
"It was comfortable." (HA)


Despite being given hand warmers to wear around his waist like their other QBs, Bryant Moniz said:
"I didn't think it was that cold. I don't think the weather is going to be a factor." (HA)


About being added to the travel roster Wednesday morning, Cayman Shutter said:
"I was surprised, but I was more than willing to pack my bags." (HA)


About why he added Shutter to the travel roster, Mac said:
"Two of the quarterbacks weren't with us last week. I didn't want to take a chance. I just decided to bring him. I hope we don't have to use him because I would hate to burn a year. But we have to win a game, too." (HA)


About the challenge that Kaepernick poses to defenses, Blaze Soares said:
"He's a freak of nature. He's got so much speed and those long strides. Once he gets by you he's hard to catch." (HSB)


About how this will be his first game at Mackay Stadium since he was fired by current Nevada coach Chris Ault, Chris Tormey said:
"There's a little bit of mixed feelings." (HSB)

http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091030/SPORTS0201/910300364&template=UHsports

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/sportsnews/20091030_Warriors_shrug_off_the_cold_weather.html

No comments:

Post a Comment