Thursday, October 22, 2009

Feature article on Spencer Smith

About how his Dad would have him knock down a tackling dummy over and over when he was 9-years-old, Spencer Smith said:
"He'd hold it up and I'd have to go low and wrap around and tackle it. I used to just do it for fun, not even thinking I was going to do anything with it." (HSB)


HSB Note: 'Smith posted a career-high 12 tackles, seven solo, and forced a fumble in UH's loss at Idaho last weekend. He enters Saturday's Western Athletic Conference game against No. 6 Boise State tied with linebacker Blaze Soares with 48 total tackles."


Praising Spencer Smith's play against Idaho, Mac said:
"Spencer played outstanding last week. Made all kinds of tackles and plays and he had his best ballgame." (HSB)


HSB Note: "Smith's penchant for contact was fostered while growing up in Georgia as the son of a rugby coach. The basics Mel Smith taught him translated over when Spencer gravitated to football at Kell High School, where he earned four varsity letters."


About starting at safety instead of just playing on special teams, Smith said:
"I hadn't been in a full game of tackling since high school. We'd do it on special teams, but it's not like playing defense and every play you could be asked to make a tackle. (Now) I don't have to think about it too much. I just have to make the tackle like my dad used to teach me when I was a little kid." (HSB)


About his mistake on 3rd-and-forever against Idaho, Smith said:
"I just had to learn from it. I know I can't let that happen again. I just can't let that stay in my head. I just have to learn and know that as a DB you can't assume something, you just have to react to what's in front of you." (HSB)


About how BSU confuses defenses, Smith said:
"They do a lot of stuff before the snap and confuse people. It's a double-edged sword. They can outsmart you and outplay you with their athleticism. They have a great program, so we just have to watch a lot of film, and understand what we have to do." (HSB)

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/sportsnews/20091022_Smith_has_firm_grasp_on_tackling.html

No comments:

Post a Comment