Saturday, August 29, 2009

Colt Brennan's teammates supported him after his INT

WP = Washington Post

WP Note: “When Colt Brennan’s first series Friday night ended with a goal-line interception that the Patriots returned for a touchdown, the jokes started. Press box jokes about Chase Daniel jerseys going on sale. Internet jokes about how Colt would need to be gelded. At that point, he had three preseason interceptions, and zero preseason touchdowns, and the Cult of Colt was on the verge of being dissolved.”

About his INT that was returned for a TD during his first drive, Colt said:
“Pretty abysmal. I couldn’t believe it when it happened. It was kind of surreal for a second. I was like, ‘Not again…Are you serious?’ ” (WP)

WP Note: “And then he walked to the sidelines, and walked into the warm embrace of Interceptions Anonymous, Redskins style. Casey Rabach came up to offer a word of encouragement. So did Chris Cooley. So did Jim Zorn. And so did every quarterback on the roster, from Daniel to Todd Collins to Jason Campbell.”

About how all of their QBs supported him after his INT, Colt said:
“I mean, these are guys you’re competing with, and they’re rooting for you. I mean, that’s pretty impressive, considering it’s the NFL, [considering] it’s such a business.” (WP)

About his advice to Colt, Jason Campbell said:
“I said, ‘That happens in football, move past it.’ Get ready for the next series, get out there and strike ‘em with a touchdown pass, don’t let that get you down.” (WP)

About how he told Colt to put the INT behind him and have some success the rest of the game, CB Fred Smoot said:
“That’s my guy, man, that’s my guy. I love Colt Brennan, man. You know what? There’s some guys that’s born to do what they’re doing, and they just get the perfect name, the perfect everything. He’s one of those guys to me. He just reminds me of Brett so much. I’ve been around Brett Favre so long, and I see a lot of Brett in Colt. I feel like I’ve got to look out for him and take care of him. That’s my guy.” (WP)

WP Note: “Now, none of this would have mattered much had Brennan gone back out on the field and tossed three more picks. But he didn’t. He may not have dazzled, but he held things together. His final line was at least respectable; 6-for-12 for 81 yards and a touchdown, although he was sacked four times. And he said the words of his teammates had helped accomplish that much.”

About how the support he got from his teammates helped him, Colt said:
“I can’t even remember how many guys came up to me and just said don’t worry about it. You know, I’ve done so well in practice, and it’s been frustrating to not really do all that well in the games this year. So to have that kind of support from teammates and coaches made me settle down, made me realize, hey look, let’s just focus on getting in the end zone, and luckily I was able to score one…. Everyone knows me, everyone’s seen me have success here. They know that I kind of get in a rhythm and I get confidence and I go. And the way things have fallen into place this preseason, I’ve kind of just had some bad things happen and I’ve had to deal with it….But at least everyone’s been real understanding and been real supportive and been rooting for me, and I really can’t ask for anything more.” (WP)

About how he finally threw a TD pass this preseason, Colt said:
“I just sat there and looked at the sideline, like finally, I can’t believe it’s been this hard. It was like a huge weight off my shoulders. Hopefully I can really put it together and end preseason on a good note.” (WP)

WP Note: “He was referring to Thursday’s game at Jacksonville. When I chatted with Smoot, though, the cornerback was thinking bigger picture. He described Brennan as his “little brother,” and talked about helping him in practice and seeing his improvement. I asked Smoot if he thought Brennan could play in this league.”

Asked if he thought that Colt could make it in the NFL, Smoot said:
“Think he can play? I think he’s gonna be great. I don’t say that about a lot of players. Put it like this, the Falcons traded Brett Favre years ago. I just hope we don’t make that mistake.” (WP)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/08/colt_brennan_feels_the_love.html

No comments:

Post a Comment