Thursday, June 25, 2009

OL David Lefotu and DT Viliami "Pep" Fonokalafi commit to the Warriors!

HA Note: "The Warriors yesterday received commitments from offensive lineman David Lefotu of Pearl City High and defensive lineman Viliami "Pep" Fonokalafi of Kaimuki High. Both participated in UH's Big Man's Camp for linemen. They learned of their scholarship offers after calling the UH coaches yesterday afternoon."

About how no Pearl City lineman received a UH football scholarship since Brian Derby in 1981, Lefotu family friend David Hallums said:
"Not even Jason Scott Lee got one." (HA)


About being able to play in front of his family, David Lefotu (6'4", 295 pounds) said:
"It's the overall hospitality. I grew up here. I lived here my whole life. I don't think there's anything better than playing in front of the people you love and the people you grew up knowing. It's the friendly environment the people of Hawai'i have to offer." (HA)

HA Note: "Lefotu received offers from California and Wyoming, and drew interest from Oregon. Fonokalafi drew interest from Utah, Wyoming and Utah State."

About committing to the Warriors, Viliami Fonokalafi (6'0", 290 pounds) said:
"I kind of made the decision on my own. I talked to my dad and my brothers. They told me I could go to the Mainland if I wanted to. They told me the decision was up to me. I decided to stay here." (HA)

About participating in UH's Big Man's Camp, Lefotu said:
"It was a good experience to get out there and compete against some of the best guys in the state. I learned a lot. I worked against great guys, and I learned from some great coaches. They really know and understand the game. It was great fun. It was a great learning experience." (HA)

About how UH's coaches and several Warrior alumni served as instructors, Lefotu said:
"They were welcoming. They liked to push you to be better. They were positive guys. They made it easier for us to push and play our best for them." (HA)

About UH's Big Man's Camp, Fonokalafi said:
"I felt at home in the camp. I learned a lot of things I didn't even know about football." (HA)

About how he was raised on red dirt, Lefotu said:
"I'm a Pearl City kid." (HA)

HA Note: "Fonokalafi plays first base for the Bulldogs' baseball team. He is capable of bench pressing 345 pounds. Fonokalafi, who is of Tongan ancestry, performs cultural dances for his church."

About how his nickname came from his long middle name, Fonokalafi said:
"All of my life, my mom and dad have been calling me 'Pepa.' I came to school, and the coaches asked me where did you get the name? Now the coaches cut it short to 'Pep.' That's fine." (HA)

http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090625/SPORTS0201/906250355/1312&template=UHSports

No comments:

Post a Comment