Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Destin Stewart commits to the Warriors!

About how he likes the weather in Hawaii more than his Oklahoma weather, Destin "D-Stew" Stewart said:
"I really like the weather over there. The year-round weather is always warm. Right now (in Oklahoma), it's a little cold. It's in the 20s." (HA)

About how he also liked the Warriors four-wide offense, the coaching staff, and his future teammates, Stewart said:
"Those are the reasons I decided to commit to Hawai'i." (HA)

HA Note: "Stewart, a senior at Oklahoma City's Douglass High, said he is 6 feet 4, 200 pounds and can run 40 yards in 4.5 seconds. He was named to the Oklahoma Coaches Association's 2008 All-State team as a receiver, despite playing in a run-oriented offense. www.Rivals.com listed Stewart in its Oklahoma High Top-35 list of prospects."

About being named to the Daily Oklahoman's All-State second team as a punter, Stewart said:
"I don't know my average. I just kicked it as far as possible." (HA)

Stewart made a verbal commitment to Tulsa a couple of months ago, but after a few weeks he said:
I de-committed. I wanted to get away from Oklahoma, really." (HA)

HA Note: "Stewart received offers from Kansas State, Toledo and Wyoming, and interest from Arkansas, Kansas and Oklahoma State."

Stewart said that after he visited Hawaii the weekend before the Hawaii Bowl:
"Hawai'i felt like the best fit. I really liked it down there. It's a great environment." (HA)

HA Note: "He also said he was impressed with UH's academic program. Stewart has a 3.7 grade-point average this year, and has earned an NCAA-qualifying score on the SAT. Stewart also is the starting wing player on Douglass' basketball team. He averages 13.0 points per game. The Trojans are ranked fourth in the state."

About how he was 5'5" as a 7th grader and grew *9* inches by the of the 8th grade, Stewart said:
"I'm trying to hit another growth spurt." (HA)

HA Note: "Stewart has several hobbies. He often rides American Quarter Horses on his uncle's ranch in Central Oklahoma."

About how he's difficult to find in the woods where paint-ball competitions are held, Stewart said:
"I can hide a little bit." (HA)

About how his parents has chosen "Destiny" as a girl's name because they thought they were having a girl, Stewart said:
"Because I was a boy, my mother named me Destin." (HA)

2 comments:

  1. A 6'4 200 kid who can run a 4.5 and punt and is versatile enough to drop 13 ppg on a good high school team. That's a good recruit-- even better, it seems like he's a humble, down-to-earth kid with scholastic ability. Destin is exactly what all student-athletes should strive to be, and I hope he's successful in Hawaii. He'll be a good fit on a team that employs a wide-open offensive attack and enjoys spreading the ball around to multiple targets. Best of luck to him.

    We're looking for Hawaii bloggers at www.collegefanz.com, the largest college sports site on the net. I think your postings would go over well there as we've got Hawaii fans but nobody keeping them updated on Warriors news.

    Our blogs are free and simple and come with a built-in user base which really promotes discussion.

    Take a look around the site and let me know what you think at mgleeson@collegefanz.com. Can't wait to hear from you!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Destin,

    As your former little league coach of the OKC Maroon Panthers, I just want to let you know how proud I am of you. I still remember that little six year old that I would press hard to make mad so I could bring out your attitude and best potential. After being your coach for 7 years, I'm proud of the hard work that you continued to carry out through the conclusion of high school. Keep up the great work at Hawaii...Otherwise, I will bring you back and you will be running to the "Tree" for old times sakes. You used to hate the "Tree".

    Sincerely,

    Coach Robbie

    ReplyDelete