Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Quotes from the informal passing practice yesterday

About the turnout for their unsupervised passing drills, Inoke said:
"For the first time, we had more quarterbacks showing up than receivers." (HA)

HA Note: "There were, in fact, more receivers (15) than quarterbacks (eight). But with the number of long pass patterns, by the 90th minute in sun-baked conditions, there were few fresh receivers available."

About how the WRs were tired by the end of their 90 minute practice, Tyler said:
"Everybody was breathing hard. That's all going to change soon when we start getting into shape." (HA)

HA Note: "NCAA rules allow teams to set up summer strength and conditioning programs. But it is up to the players to coordinate football-related drills. Funaki is one of several who have crafted a schedule of three-times-a-week passing drills. Funaki and Graunke exited spring practice as co-No. 1 quarterbacks. But head coach Greg McMackin declared the competition open entering training camp. Funaki and Graunke have been helpful in tutoring the three newcomers — junior-college transfers Greg Alexander and Brent Rausch, and incoming freshman Steele Jantz."

About how the vets are helping the new QBs this summer, Tyler said:
"The newcomers are asking questions, and the veterans are giving good advice, and letting them know the offense. Everybody is getting a pretty good idea of what's going on out here." (HA)

About why the vets help the new QBs, Inoke said:
"We help each other because we're one team. And somebody has to be ready if somebody goes down with an injury. It's nice to have everybody familiar with the offense." (HA)

HA Note: "Bryce Kalauokaaea, a second-year freshman who will join the team Aug. 25, spurned the option of moving to defensive back. He threw passes yesterday. So, too, did Shane Austin, whose right foot was in a medical boot. Austin is recovering from a fracture in his right foot."

About throwing passes yesterday despite having his right foot in a medical boot, Shane Austin said:
"It's all in the hips. I don't put much weight on it." (HA)

After Austin completed a long pass, Inoke said:
"What do I think about him having a (boot) on his foot and still throwing the ball farther than me? It doesn't make me feel very good." (HA)

HA Note: "Graunke, who missed last week's drills to complete school work, said he is getting into football shape. Graunke gained 18 pounds and now weighs 200."

About the 18 pounds he gained, Tyler said:
"That was pretty much my goal (weight). I'm going to have to check the body-fat monitor in the training room because I don't think it's very good weight that I gained. Hopefully, I can lose some weight and gain it back in muscle." (HA)

HA Note: "Graunke has made a U-turn in the classroom. This past semester, he earned two A-minus grades and a B-plus. He expects to earn at least a B for the course in which he was granted an extension."

About his grades, Tyler said:
"I didn't want (grades) to be an issue this year. I have to take some summer-school credits, and I'll be good to roll. That's a priority this offseason." (HA)

About how their offseason workouts help them come together as a team, Inoke said:
"I hear a lot of talk about the (proposed improvements to the) field and equipment. That's nice. But more importantly is the attitude of the team. We're trying to build on what we did last year." (HA)


HSB Note: "Mike Tinoco knows he still has a lot to learn, despite his experience in a four-receiver offensive system. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound junior receiver out of Saddleback College (Mission Viejo, Calif.) was one of about 25 Hawaii football players participating in drills during an unsupervised practice yesterday on campus. He and Craig Bell (6-1,185), two of the Warriors' five incoming receivers, followed the lead of their new teammates."

About how UH's offense is similar to the 4-wide system used at his JC (Saddleback, where Colt played), Mike Tinoco said:
"I'm kind of used to that offensive style. It's just different route-running. At JC, if you had a route, that's all you could do. There was a couple times you would switch it up, but here, you got options all over the place. It's good -- it really makes you read the defense. (Improvisation) is good, I like that." (HSB)

HSb Note: "Tinoco got in on a lot of the action in the first half of the 2-hour session, then kept a careful eye on his teammates for much of the second hour."

Learning from watching his teammates, Tinoco said:
"I can pick stuff up pretty quick. I like to study it and make sure I know what I'm doing out there. That's my goal -- I'm hoping to learn it in the next month. I know it'll be tough, but I'm going to try to really work hard at it so I can be good to (the point) where the quarterback calls the play, and I know what to do." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Of course, it's not easy being one of the select few newcomers in a group of over two-dozen players familiar with each other. Tinoco was still working on remembering names."

About how Tinoco and Bell became tentative when more players arrived, Inoke said:
"I know how it can be when you come out and you don't really know anybody. I was like, 'Guys, get up, run around,' you know? Sometimes you need someone like that, because they kind of feel like the outcasts. They don't really know everybody like the rest of us who know each other well." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Tinoco mentioned Funaki and fellow receivers Royce Pollard and Joe Avery as the most helpful in the early stages of summer."

When he heard that Tinoco credited him as one of the most helpful Warriors, Inoke said:
"When I first came, it wasn't so easy either, all the adjustments and everything. I know that their head is swimming right now. Baby steps, you know? Milk first before you eat. I know they have the willingness to learn. I see them watching film and stuff." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment