Sunday, June 29, 2008

Feature on Dylan Linkner

About people who recognize him when he is bussing tables, Linkner said:
"Our restaurant has a lot of Japanese tourists, so when that happens, they're looking and wondering, 'Who's that?' This one guy says, 'I remember when you almost scored that touchdown against USC.' Talk about a hard-core fan. Some people say 'What are you doing bussing?' I explain I'm a regular person trying to make ends meet." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Dylan Linkner busses tables at a restaurant in Waikiki. After summer school, he works an 8-hour shift, finishing at midnight, and is up at 5 the next morning so he can get from his Kailua home in time for early-morning workouts at the University of Hawaii."

HSB Note: "Linkner's father, Jim, is an award-winning sound engineer with a long history of working with local recording artists. Willie K and Keali'i Reichel to us are Uncle Willie and Uncle Keali'i to Dylan Linkner."

About the famous singers that he grew up around, Linkner said:
"When you meet them when you're a little kid, it's like, 'This is blah, blah, blah,' and you're like OK, but you don't really understand who they are. For me, it wasn't really like an awe-ing experience. It was more like, this is just my dad's friend. And they're down-to-earth, like any normal guy off the street. Recently one person I've been seeing a lot because he's been doing a lot of stuff on Oahu is Willie K. That guy's the most impressive instrument player I've ever seen. Then you see him after the show and he's the most regular, cool guy. Keali'i Reichel, just this guy from Maui who wanted to play music. Then he blew up, and everybody''s like, 'Man, I can't believe you know him.'" (HSB)

About playing trombone at Kailua High School, Linkner said:
"I can say I'm knowledgeable about music. I'm not very good at singing. I played high school band, trombone. I felt I did pretty good in high school band, but nothing like I could come to college and play. Henry Fu, the band director, he understood I couldn't be good at everything. People think band is for dorks, but he would tell us about music theory and how music relates to life. Not only through football, but through band you learn discipline. To get good at a song, you've got to practice. Through high school I would say Henry Fu was my mentor and a guy I wanted to live up to. To me, he's one of the top teachers in the state, not just band. He takes the extra time to help you solve things." (HSB)

About how Linkner has been helping the younger WRs despite how that could hurt his playing time, Linkner said:
"His teammates love and respect him for it. He never complains, never takes a day off. He's always trying to improve, but he knows his role." (HSB)

HSB Note: "That role expanded during spring practice, when Linkner was No. 1 on the depth chart at right wide receiver after Malcolm Lane was injured. He will get a chance to regain it again in fall camp, or at least get into a playing rotation -- especially if he cuts 5 pounds as the coaches have requested."

About how he needs to get faster, Linkner said:
"College sports is speed. Everyone can work on their speed. I know that's one thing I need to do. I'm not the fastest guy out there, so that's my biggest thing." (HSB)

About how he didn't give up despite limited playing time, Linkner said:
"Some guys, I know, in my situation would get discouraged. I know some who have quit or wanted to transfer. For me it's like football is my love, football is my passion. I love the sport. I'm hoping after I graduate to do something in football like broadcasting. To me it's just a love for it. I come out here, it's the brotherhood, all these guys. After college you step into the world, you have to start real life. I think of it as you can still have your fun before you step into real life." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment