Monday, April 28, 2008

Colt was drafted, other Warriors sign free agent deals

About being drafted by Washington, Colt said:
"It really is a great situation. I really like the coach they have, and they're bringing in the West Coast system. I definitely have experience with that offense. I'm really excited about that." (HA)

"I was hoping to be a high draft pick just because of the success I had. But as I went through the draft process, I went through a lot of adversity. I really started thinking I may not even get drafted, so to get the phone call to hear the Washington Redskins, you have no idea of the feeling." (HSB)

After not being drafted in the first 5 rounds, Colt said:
"I was sitting there pretty bummed. Then all of a sudden I got a strange area code (on caller ID) and picked it up. Sure enough, it was, 'Hold on, Colt, would you move to the Washington D.C. area?' I was like, 'Yeah.' He said, 'Hold on, we're going to punch you through to coach (Jim) Zorn and the (general manager).' It was an awesome feeling, a really good feeling." (HA)

HA Note: "Brennan and more than 20 family members and friends had gathered at a rented beach house on Balboa Island yesterday. They raised a Hawaiian flag."

About how they celebrated after he was picked, Colt said:
"When (the selection was) announced, my whole family went nuts." (HA)

About his drop in the draft due to the questions critics had about him, Colt said:
"The way it kept being described to me, the closer you get to the draft, the more conservative everybody gets. Unfortunately, I came with a lot of question marks because of the (offensive) system I played in and the conference I played in, to obviously my situation at Colorado (when a dormitory incident led to a seven-day jail sentence), to obviously my hip injury. With all of those question marks, when you compare it to a guy like (USC's John David) Booty or (Michigan's Chad) Henne who don't have any of those question marks, it's just one of those things." (HA)

About having Jim Zorn as his new coach, who played QB in the NFL, Colt said:
"It's obviously cool. June Jones being my coach in college, I think that's a big reason we had a lot of success." (HSB)

About how he has to let his hip heal instead of trying to push through the injury, Colt said:
"One thing the doctors stressed is don't push too fast, give it time to heal. I'm feeling great. In a couple of weeks I'll be 100 percent. But I'm excited. Everyone's telling me (Washington is) a great place, and I've heard the fans are great." (HSB)

About Washington, Colt said:
"They're bringing me in to develop me and that's fine with me. I'm going to compete to move up the depth chart. I know that Jason Campbell's a great quarterback. I'm going to be ready for whatever the team needs me to do. I'm ready to work." (HSB)

About how the situation is Washington is ideal for Colt, Washington VP Vinny Cerrato said:
"I think he's coming into a perfect situation for him. There's no pressure. We've got a quarterback (Jason Campbell). We've got an outstanding backup quarterback in Todd Collins. And he's got time to learn. He's got time to develop. We said in the draft we were going to look for a guy we can develop, and I think this is a guy that Jim (Zorn) will enjoy developing, and we wanted to develop." (HA)

"We've got an outstanding person to coach him and teach him. Jim Zorn will be just what the doctor ordered for him. There's no pressure -- he's got time to learn and develop. He's done a ton of things. He's had a lot of success. You can't discount all the victories and all the touchdowns." (HSB)

HA Note: "Zorn knows something of Brennan's situation. He came from an off-the-marquee school (Cal Poly Pomona) as an undrafted free agent with less than eye-popping "measurables" (6 feet 2 and 200 pounds) 30 years ago and carved out a remarkable 12-year playing career in the NFL that has led to a marquee head coaching job. Less than three months into his Washington tenure, Zorn has sized up and taken a flier on Brennan who is, for the time being, "his" quarterback to mold. Somebody the Redskins have the luxury of developing while not having to rush into action."

About the importance of accuracy by a QB in his offense, Zorn said:
"The thing that I look for, one of the strong suits of a QB, is can he hit what he's throwing at? Colt has done that. He's been a 70 percent passer. Whatever level and whatever type of defense you're going against, to throw 70-plus percent, there's some accuracy there. And he's got the ability to move around. His lateral movement, his ability to get himself in a position to throw the ball after a play breaks down, is tremendous, I think. Hopefully, he'll be able to come in here and do that." (HSB)

Proud of his son, Terry Brennan said:
"We're very happy for Colt." (HA)

About the opportunity he has in Miami, Bess said:
"It's a good situation for me. The punt return and slotback spots are open." (HSB)

HA Note: "In the fifth round, the Dolphins called Bess, saying they would offer him a free-agent deal if he went undrafted. Minutes after the draft ended, Bess' agent was finalizing a pact."

Not regretting his choice to skip his senior season, Bess said:
"I'm good. No regrets at all. One year wouldn't have made a difference." (HA)

Bess said that getting a shot to compete in an NFL camp:
"that's the main thing. I've jumped over 100 hurdles my whole life. What's one more? This is the profession I chose to go into. It's a business. I have to put the hard work in." (HA)

HA Note: "Bess said he will have a chance to compete at inside receiver and punt returner."

About his disappointment at not being drafted, RGM said:
"Definitely. Everyone wants to get drafted, and that's what I expected. But I'm not sulking. The way I look at it, even if you get drafted, you still have to make the team." (HSB)

RGM said that he had:
"no regrets. I made the right decision. You never know with the draft. It's all over, and now I'm ready to go on the field and do what I do." (HA)

Not minding having to go the free-agent route, RGM said:
"When we all came to Hawai'i, nobody knew us. We had to prove ourselves, and make a name for ourselves. We don't stop now. We can't shy away from competing. We know nothing is handed to you — from high school to college to this. It's just another thing." (HA)

About not getting drafted, Rivers said:
"Everything in my life has been hard. I've had to work for it. This is no different. It's kind of silly to think it would be given to me, handed on a silver platter. Even if I were drafted, I'd still have to work for it. This is kind of humbling, and it puts things into perspective." (HA)

Rivers said that the Titans are:
"the best fit for me." (HA)

About how he wasn't expecting to be drafted, Hercules said:
"I wasn't expecting anything. What happens, happens." (HA)

Hercules said that he is:
"excited to play at the next level." (HA)

About Matt Leinart, Colt's former high school teammate and now Hercules' new teammate in Arizona, Hercules said:
"Hopefully, I get the chance to play with another Mater Dei guy." (HA)

HA Note about Bess, RGM, Rivers, and Hercules: "The four leave Thursday for their respective mini camps. Each will receive a signing bonus of up to $10,000."

HA Note: "Meanwhile, right guard Larry Sauafea said he has received inquiries from three teams. He said he expects to receive an offer today. Hawthorne has been in talks with Minnesota and Philadelphia. An offer should come today. Defensive tackle Michael Lafaele and defensive end Amani Purcell still were awaiting word on free-agent offers."

No comments:

Post a Comment