Saturday, August 25, 2007

Random Warrior Quotes

About Bess earning the starting punt returner spot despite only being a junior, JJ said:
"Davone is the most natural punt returner I've seen. I'm going to let him do that." (HA)

HA Note: "Bess was allowed to return punts in UH's final two games last season. He returned five for an average of 16.6 yards, which would have led the Western Athletic Conference if he had met the minimum number of attempts."


Happy to be able to return punts all season, Bess said:
"I'm happy for the chance. I'm excited. I've been working hard the past couple of years to prove to the coach and team I'm capable of handling the job. (Jones) has a lot of confidence in me. I want to make him proud, and not let him second guess giving me the spot." (HA)


About how Rivers will return kicks this year, his first year returning kicks, JJ said:
"He has a future in the NFL. He can return kicks. He's a real strong guy. I want to give him an opportunity to get on film doing that." (HA)


Happy to be a starting kick returner, Rivers said:
"That's something I've always enjoyed doing. I haven't had the opportunity to do it in college. Before I was a receiver (in high school), I played running back. Kick returning makes me feel the same way. When I played running back, one little crease is what I needed to bust through." (HA)


About how other teams defer the kickoff return until the 2nd half but UH always takes the ball to start the game, Rivers said:
"That's the No. 1 motivation for me — to be on the first play of the season. If we win the toss, it's our kick return. That's our first offensive possession. I'd love nothing more than to take it to the house, get us started on the right foot." (HA)


HA Note: "Jones said three members of the 2007 recruiting class — center Sila Lefiti, left tackle Ray Hisatake and defensive tackle Chris Leatigaga — will redshirt this season. Lefiti, a 2007 graduate of Mater Dei High School in California, will not practice to focus on school work. Hisatake and Leatigaga will continue to practice. They will redshirt provided they are not needed for emergency situations."


About redshirting, Hisatake said:
"That's fine with me." (HA)

HA Note: "Hisatake did not play football in high school. He was a defensive lineman at San Mateo. He first played on the offensive line during UH's spring training in April."


About how Hisatake has a lot of potential but never played offense before spring training, JJ said:
"He's a great kid, and he's going to be a great player. He just hasn't had much experience on offense." (HA)


About his inexperience on OL, Hisatake said:
"I'm really new to this position. A year off to learn everything would be great. I know I've come a long way already. To get better and hone a new skill is better for me and the team." (HA)


About redshirting, Leatigaga (who moved from DE to DT and missed several practices for summer school) said:
"I want to redshirt so I can get stronger and faster. Going from end to tackle is a big difference. It's a whole other ballgame playing in the middle." (HA)


Happy that he won't redshirt, freshman LB Po'okela Ahmad (backup strongside LB and a member of 3 of the 6 special teams) said:
"I'm happy now that I get to play." (HA)

"I'm back in the game." (HA)

"I have all of these jitters about getting back onto the field." (HA)

No comments:

Post a Comment