Friday, July 29, 2011

Warrior Quotes from the WAC Football Media Preview (UH picked to win the WAC, Moniz top offensive player)

RGJ = Reno Gazette Journal

About how he's never been on a team picked to win its conference before, Bryant Moniz said:
"I think my junior year at Leilehua (High) we were up there, but not at the top." (HSA)


About the coaches and media picking them to win the WAC, Corey Paredes said:
"It's an honor to get that recognition early in the season. We have a target on our backs now." (HSA)


About being picked to win the WAC, Mack said:
"Quite honestly, preseason polls don't mean anything. You have to play your season. That's why they keep score. If you start thinking too much of yourself, you have to look back at teams that have won a championship and then did not play well the next year. They were resting on their laurels. We're not going to do that." (HSA)


About how they met on the football field in high school, Paredes (who went to Castle) said:
"I sacked him." (HSA)

"I was small then. But I did sack him." (HSA)


About Paredes saying that he sacked him in high school, Moniz said:
"I don't remember. I had a lot of concussions." (HSA)

"It was muddy. I couldn't move." (HSA)


HSA Note: "WAC coaches were in uniform agreement that the Warriors' black jerseys create problems in video scouting. The topic came to light when it was revealed that as a condition for joining the Mountain West Conference, former WAC member Boise State agreed to not wear all-blue uniforms when playing on Bronco Stadium's blue turf. Fresno State coach Pat Hill said it made it difficult to identify Bronco players on videos. But Hill also said that UH's black jerseys (with green numbers) also created problems in scouting. The Warriors wore black jerseys for home games last year. Last week, they unveiled new green jerseys for home games."


About picking Moniz to be the WAC's preseason top offensive player, La Tech coach Sonny Dykes said:
"Easy choice." (HSA)


About how Moniz walked on to UH, Dykes said:
"The thing I like best about him is his story. When a quarterback does what he does — walking onto a program, delivering pizzas to pay for school — that's a guy I want to play with. And he's a heck of a player. He's a good player in the  pocket. He's a good player out of the pocket. He has an incredibly quick release. He's accurate. He does a great job of boosting his team. He has tremendous confidence, and that carries over to those other guys." (HSA)


About how he was surprised to get the preseason honor, Moniz said:
"I didn't even know they had this (media event) until a month ago. I asked Derek (Inouchi, UH's media relations director): 'When are we going to Vegas?' I was referring to our game against UNLV. He said, 'Oh, we have to go to Vegas for media day.' I was like, 'What's that? I never heard of that.' This is awesome." (HSA)


About how his uncle, Rick White, was the pilot on his flight from Honolulu to Las Vegas, Moniz said:
"It was cool. I wish I could have gone into the cockpit, but he said they don't allow (passengers to do) that anymore. I had some other relatives on the flight." (HSA)


Praising Moniz, Fresno State coach Pat Hill said:
"I like him. I think he's a heck of a player. I thought we went hard after him last year, and he kept getting away and making plays. He's very talented." (HSA)


About how no D-I school offered him a scholarship out of high school, Moniz said:
"My mom still loved me." (HSA)


Remembering how he doubted himself backthen, Moniz said:
"Maybe I'm not that good. Maybe I'm just a high school player." (HSA)


About how his mother encouraged him to play at Fresno City College, working extra jobs to pay for his school and living expenses, Moniz said:
"She found a way to get it done. She did a lot for me. I didn't want to let her down." (HSA)


About his goals when he walked on to UH, Moniz said:
"When I first came in, I just wanted to play in a game. I didn't think about awards or any of that stuff. I just wanted to play."


About how UH is the only WAC school with a returning starter at QB, Mack said:
"I think it's a big advantage. I've never seen a guy more calm than him in a game situation." (RGJ)


About how teams cannot win in the WAC without a good starting QB, NMSU coach DeWayne Walker said:
"We played Boise a couple of years ago and the first thing Coach (Chris) Petersen told me was, 'Coach, you have to have a quarterback to win in this league.'" (RGJ)


About how there will be a lot of scoring in the WAC this season, Hill said:
"There will be a lot of scoring in this league. We play against a lot of teams in a lot of conferences and I'll tell you the Western Athletic Conference has some of the best offenses in the nation. The schemes that you see week-in, week-out in this league are very, very good. The coaching in this league is very good." (RGJ)


About how the use of spread offenses makes the QB position more important than ever, Dykes said:
"The quarterback position is going to be the X factor because the quarterback is expected to do so much nowadays." (RGJ)


About how you never know how a QB will react to actual game time instead of practice, Hill said:
"There's a big difference between sparring and actually getting in the ring." (RGJ)

http://www.rgj.com/article/20110729/SPORTS01/107290398/WAC-football-Experienced-Warriors-take-top-spot-both-league-polls-Pack-No-3?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

No comments:

Post a Comment