Wednesday, July 6, 2011

New Warriors went through freshman orientation yesterday

About how he shouldn't be called Promise anymore, Chinedu Promise Amadi said:
"I don't go by 'Promise' anymore. I use my first name." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Yesterday also was the first day of UH's bridge session. The summer-school classes run up to the opening of the Warriors' training camp next month. Because players are on full scholarship while enrolled in summer school, incoming freshman players prefer to take bridge-session classes."


About how he likes being in Hawaii, RB Jared Leaf said:
"I got in last Thursday. It's going good. I like it here." (HSA)


JSA Mpte"
There are a few excused absences. Offensive lineman Blake Muir is training in his native Australia. Muir goes on scholarship next month. He paid for his tuition and living expenses during the spring semester. To pay back that loan, he is working for an airline this summer.

Slotback Scott Harding and linebacker Penitito Faalologo, a graduate of a high school in American Samoa, will report at the end of this month. Harding played six years of professional Australian Rules Football. Because Australian football is considered a different sport from American football, Harding's amateur status is not impacted."


CB Mike Edwards said that he will report:
"no later than July 17th." (HSA)


About how he's been preparing for the season, both working out hard and watching videos of UH's defensive schemes, Edwards said:
"I've been training to get better." (HSA)


About the high expectations for him, Edwards said:
"I'd rather have it on the football field than the pressure of being on the streets not knowing what my next move is going to be. Football always came easy to me if I worked hard at it. I'm going to work hard." (HSA)


About how in May each of the new players got a manual from Tommy Heffernan with suggested daily workouts, DE Craig Cofer said:
"It's a great program. It really helped me a lot." (HSA)


About going to UH, Cofer said:
"This is my third school." (HSA)


About how he packed light for Hawaii, Cofer said:
"Hawaii is a big difference from Oregon. I didn't have to take any heavy coats. I took a lot of tank tops and shorts." (HSA)


About how the new Warriors went to Waikiki for the 4th of July, Amadi said:
"We saw the fireworks. It was a lot of fun. Now we're getting ready for work." (HSA)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110706_First_year_Warriors_go_through_orientation.html

No comments:

Post a Comment