Saturday, July 9, 2011

Feature on how Scott Harding got the idea to play college football since he felt he could play in the NFL

SM = Sunday Mail

Asked if he's nervous to have 50,000 people watch him at Aloha Stadium, Scott Harding said:
"I'm going over to make a statement and get people to watch me. The more eyes that watch me, the better chance I've got to make the pros." (SM)


Asked how he got the idea to play American football when he watched NFL games and saw his heroes Larry Fitzgerald and Desean Jackson, Harding said:
"I used to watch it all the time and constantly be thinking, 'I can do that'. I'd watch it on TV and think, 'I don't see how he runs any faster than me, or catches any better'. I've always had good hands. That was one of my strengths in the midfield. I was always pretty clean and a one-touch player. I'm not saying I'm going to be a Terrell Owens but I'm certainly not going to rest on my heels and wait to see what happens." (SM)


About how Harding approached him when he visited Brisbane to look for kickers, former Green Bay Packers punter Nathan Chapman, who has been running Prokick (which has only sent punters to the NFL), said:
"My first message to him was if you want to try and play positions in college or the NFL it will come down to numbers. You have to be that much faster, that much stronger or kick it that much higher and longer for them to even consider you. Why would they bother teaching someone the game if they can get someone of equal ability over there?" (SM)


SM Note: "Harding considered making the code swap when he was delisted by Brisbane at the end of the 2009 season. Considered one of the unluckiest players to be cut that year, he decided to throw his name back in the draft and he was picked up by the Power."


About being delisted by Brisbane at the end of the 2009 season and being picked up by the Power, Harding said:
"My manager at the time still thought I had some more AFL left in me. I thought I did, too. I was a bit stiff to get let go by Brisbane at that point and I thought I'd get picked up somewhere else." (SM)


About how he only played 2 more games in the AFL the following year, finishing the season with the SANFL reserves, and then was delisted again, Harding said:
"I was pretty disappointed to hear the news but I took it on the chin and when one door closes another one opens. I was excited about what was going to happen next and it all happened pretty quickly after that." (SM)


SM Note: "Harding will have history on his side in his bid to make the big time. Hawaii is the college where former rugby union and league player Colin Scotts learned his trade before becoming the only Australian to play an outfield position in the NFL."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/scotts-punt-requires-a-lion-heart/story-e6frepf6-1226091460229

No comments:

Post a Comment