Friday, May 27, 2011

Wonderful story about Jacob Patek earning a contract with the Hartford Colonials

About how he had been working outdoors as a surveyor for national gas pipeline, often surrounded by deer, turkeys and hogs, Jacob Patek said:
"I enjoyed it." (HSA)


About how he ran a slow time in the 40-yard dash at UH's 2008 Pro Day, where he was not prepared because he had been trying to complete work on his bachelor's degree, Patek said:
"I had so much pressure. I wanted to train and stop going to school, as bad as that sounds. I ended up not doing well in school and not training. I threw it all away." (HSA)


HSA Note: "But Greg McMackin, UH's newly hired head coach, extended Patek's scholarship, allowing him to earn his degree (in history) in December 2008. Then Patek trained in Arizona under Chad Ikei, received a do-over invitation to the 2009 Pro Day, and did well enough to earn a tryout in the Canadian Football League. An injury led to his release, and that appeared to be that.

The past December, he ran into Jerry Glanville, his UH defensive coordinator in 2006. Glanville said he might be considered for a coaching job in the United Football League. They promised to keep in contact."


About how he suggested that Patek attend a tryout in Houston for the UFL's Hartford Colonials, Colonials head coach Jerry Glanville said:
"I knew Patek was good, but I never said a word to my assistant coach (Bill Bradley). I didn't want to give any special treatment." (HSA)


About how Patek shut down the inside receivers in the drills, Glanville said:
"Bill Bradley was high on him. The slots never caught the ball." (HSA)


About how Patek then blew them away with his 40-yard dash time, Glanville said:
"The first time, Patek ran 4.41. I always make them run it twice, in case you miss something the first time." (HSA)

"I didn't think he could run 4.41, but he ran it twice. I knew that was legit." (HSA)


About how he accepted Glanville's offer of a free-agent contract, then got into his car and had his emotions come out, Patek said:
"I started to cry. I'm not going to lie. It was something. I give the glory to God." (HSA)


About how Patek's hard work paid off, Glanville said:
"He did it on his own. This is what happens when you work hard." (HSA)

http://warriorbeat.honadvblogs.com/2011/05/26/a-storybook-beginning/

No comments:

Post a Comment