Friday, April 8, 2011

The Big Island Warriors talk about going with the Warriors to practice and scrimmage on the Big Island tomorrow

HTH = Hawaii Tribune-Herald


About how he remembers the exact day that he last played football on the Big Island for Hilo High, Jordan Loeffler said:
"It was Hilo vs. Waiakea. It was our homecoming and we won 35-0. I got that drilled in my head. It was one of my most memorable games." (HTH)


About how he's been looking forward to practicing and playing a scrimmage on the Big Island, Loeffler said:
"Coming home, I'm all stoked. It's a good experience to get to play in front of my family and friends and for the Big Island. I've been looking forward to it for the whole year." (HTH)


HTH Note: "He's not the only one. Levi Legay, junior offensive tackle (Kealakehe 2007); Hogan Rosehill, sophomore running back (Kamehameha-Hawaii 2008); Kana Silva, freshman slotback (Kamehameha 2010); and Elmer Lim III, senior offensive line (Waimea born), are the others returning home.:


Excited about having them go to the Big Island, Levi Legay said:
"I'm really excited about coming home. Ever since we went to Maui and Kauai (the past two years), I knew we would go to the Big Island. I've been waiting for a while. It's good to go home and play over there." (HTH)


About how both LT Loeffler and RT Legay are competing for starting spots on the OL, and discussing the rest of the Big Island Warriors, Mack said:
"Both are competing for starting positions. Right now, offensive line is very, very competitive. Both will get a lot of time Friday at practice (on Oahu). Hogan will get time at running back. Obviously, Mana Silva was a great player. He had a great pro day. He ran a 4.42 (second dash in the 40 yards), and jumped 40 inches. He did really well. His brother (Kana) is with us and he'll get time. Ikaika Mahoe (2006 Kamehameha graduate) was here with us last year, too. Hilo is like a Manoa south or north for us. Jordan is a very athletic player. He came in with a great freshmen class and we expect two or three to push for starting positions. He's one. There's Sean Shigematsu from Kauai and David Lefotu. They all have talent, and the athleticism we want. They need experience and that's what they're going to get on Saturday. Levi has got more experience. He's very strong and has to continue to get better. He's got a great attitude." (HTH)


About how their practice and scrimmage will enable the Warriors from the Big Island to spend time with family and friends, and for their Big Island fans to see the Warriors in person, Mack said:
"It's great for them to see family, get some home cooking. I know most will stay the night and come back on Sunday. We have lots of fans in Hilo. We've been to Kauai and Maui and play for the state of Hawaii. Half the team has never been to the Big Island, so it's a good experience for them. We'll give the fans on the Big Island a chance to see us up close. For those who watch on TV and don't come to ballgames, it's a chance to meet the coaches and players. After the work, we want to get to know our fans. The autograph sessions are always a fun deal. Everyone is looking for a good time." (HTH)


About how they have to cut about 34 of the 109 players they are bringing to the Big Island, Mack said:
"It ends up being a numbers game. That's my least favorite thing to do -- let some of the guys go. We do a good job in evaluating. It's not a fun situation. We have 15 practices. That's why every snap is important and every snap is evaluated." (HTH)


About what he did when he grayshirted after graduating from high school, Loeffler said:
"I worked with my dad, who owns Loeffler Farms Inc., which grows corn. I just trained and lifted weights. I wasn't college-level strong. My weight went up. It was a great experience, a time to mature. My redshirt year was good, lots of fun and I got stronger during spring ball and the season. I got used to the college level." (HTH)


About how they need to rely on their technique in college, Loeffler said:
"In college, there's always someone bigger, stronger, faster. Everyone is better, period. Technique helps you find a way to block guys better. It's very important and what the coaches preach the most. I notice that the coaches still remind the seniors about technique. It takes a lot of time to learn everything." (HTH)


About how he bonded with his Dad during his grayshirt year and found out that he had a sense of humor, Loeffler said:
"Growing up, I didn't know my dad was a funny person. Now that I'm more mature I've found that he's super funny and had a blast working with him. When a good song comes on the radio, he does a goofy dance in the car." (HTH)


About how he cooks for himself, Loeffler laughed and said:
"I can cook a little. But I'm no sous chef or anything. I just cook the basics." (HTH)


About how he had to adjust to the tougher competition in college, Legay said:
"It's been a good experience. It's really character building and you have to be humble. You have to keep working hard and be consistent. I've learned a lot, patience for sure. It took a long time to get to this position, to compete for a starting spot. I've learned how to be patient and not give up. I still have a ways to go. I'm not satisfied and have to keep working." (HTH)


About the importance of young players to attend football camps, Legay said:
"You not only go to a football camp to get exposure, but also to learn techniques you may not learn at your high school,. I know countless people who were good athletes but didn't make it because of grades. Even at my high school, there were kids good enough to go to Division I, but couldn't go because of grades." (HTH)


About how they have a lot of competition for their OL spots, Legay said:
"It's going to be really good. There's a lot of competition right now. It'll be another one of those years, where the offensive line overachieves compared to what people predict. I think the team will be really good. We don't have a ton of experience, but we have really good players." (HTH)


http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2011/04/08/sports/sports01.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment