Sunday, March 6, 2011

Spring Practice Preview for Warrior Football

About the importance of Spring Practice for their team, Mack said:
"This spring is a crucial spring for us. If you look at our team, we have a lot of talent, but we don't have a lot of experience. The guys we lost had an outstanding season. But we have guys who have been getting reps and are talented, and in some ways, we're excited about our young players. They're ready to go." (HSA)


About having just 2 returning starters on offense, just like in 2008, but how things are different than 2008 because they have a returning QB in Moniz, Mack said:
"It's different this time." (HSA)


About making adjustments every year, Mack said:
"I believe life is a bunch of adjustments. If something is working, you go with it. If something isn't working, you make adjustments. Your decision has to be what's best for the program. That's what I always keep in mind: What's best for the program? What's best for the players?" (HSA)


About giving defensive play-calling duties to Dave Aranda last year, Mack said:
"It was a decision I made that I felt was better for the program and the players. I knew Dave could handle it." (HSA)


About gaining 7 pounds since January to now weigh 212, Bryant Moniz said:
"My goal was 210 for the season, so I already surpassed that." (HSA)


Praising Sterling Jackson's running style, Mack said:
"He's a tough runner with speed." (HSA)


About how he is recovered from a broken right thumb that required surgery, Sterling Jackson (who scored a TD in a scrimmage with the broken thumb) said:
"Everything is good now." (HSA)


Abotu how RGM gave him tips to understand the offense better, Terrence Bell said:
"He taught me not only how to run a route, but the idea behind it. He gave me a lot of good advice." (HSA)


About how this is his first year of eligibility (and really his only year due to being cleared by the NCAA after 10 games last year), Bell (who was the faster receiver in the 20-yard dash, running it in 2.61 seconds) said:
"I've got only one year to play.. I'm going to make the most of it." (HSA)


About how a broken leg stopped him from playing 2 years ago and a broken wrist stopped him from playing last year, Clayton Laurel said:
"It's kind of frustrating. I had my chances. I'm trying to focus and make sure I don't get injured. I'm working hard for that starting spot." (HSA)


About looking to have a greater role on defense, Paipai Falemalu said:
"I'm trying to be more of a stout run defender, so I can be an every-down defensive end. I want to be a complete defensive end. That's my goal this year." (HSA)


About how being able to get free of blockers works for pass rushing but is not always the most important thing against the run, Paipai said:
"I'm trying not to force everything." (HSA)


About how redshirting was hard on him, Tank Hopkins said:
"First game (of 2010), I cried in the locker room." (HSA)


About how missing the year was important for his body to heal, Hopkins said:
"I wasn't 100 percent until the end of January." (HSA)


HSA Note: "In team testing, Hopkins ran the fastest 20-yard dash (2.6 seconds) among the Warriors. At the end of each voluntary workout the past month, a one-on-one competition was staged. The line of scrimmage is the 5. The win went to the player who makes the touchdown catch or pass breakup. The winner stayed on the field to face the next challenger. Hopkins set the record for most consecutive victories as a defender (eight) and receiver (nine)."


About how he finally was allowed to play on the kickoff-coverage unit during their regular-season finale (he made 2 tackles vs. UNLV), Kamalani Alo said:
"It's the Kahuku mentality. The opening kickoff at Kahuku is always nuts. The Kahuku fans are great. They do the tomahawk. The feeling of running down on the opening kickoff always felt good. It made me want to do it in college as well." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110306_mcmackin_and_warriors_ready_to_spring_into_action.html

No comments:

Post a Comment