Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gordy Show is happy with the work ethic of his OL

Asked if the first day of practice helped him figure out who were the starters on their OL, Gordy Shaw said:
"No, we were in our underwear. It'll be different when they put the pads on. But the first day was good." (HSA)


About how he and Brett Leonard will rotate between C and LG, with Chauncy Winchester-Makainai a top candidate to start at RT or LG, Matagisila Lefiti said:
"We have guys who have been waiting their turn." (HSA)


About how their 7 senior OL conducted 2x/week unsupervised workouts during the offseason, Shaw said:
"They took responsibility and ownership of the offensive line. I'm very pleased with their work ethic. I don't think anybody outworked them this offseason. That showed in the first practice." (HSA)


About how their new starters on the OL shouldn't make people worry about their offense, Lefiti said:
"I don't think anybody should worry. We're going to be a high-powered offense. We'll be all right. The young guys are filling in. We'll be good." (HSA)


About how he got married last month and he and his wife are expecting their first child in June, Corey Paredes (held out of contact drills while recovering from shoulder surgery) said:
"It's been hectic." (HSA)


About adjusting to being a safety in football after leaving the basketball team about a year ago, Leroy Lutu said:
"Don't get me wrong, I miss basketball a lot. I told Gib (Arnold, UH's basketball coach) I'll be one of their biggest fans. I played basketball my whole life, but I missed football a lot, too. It's just a better situation for me. I'll have more opportunities to be successful in football." (HSA)


About working on improving his strength, especially via power cleans, Lutu said:
"Kealoha Pilares is one of my best friends, and he was really into the (power) cleans. I'm trying to be like him. He's really quick. That's a key thing to be when you're a football player." (HSA)


About how he gets advice from Rich Miano and Richard Torres regularly, Lutu said:
"(Torres) is like another coach out there. I can ask him a lot of things." (HSA)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110310_Shaw_happy_with_offensive_lines_work_ethic.html

No comments:

Post a Comment