Saturday, March 19, 2011

Feature article on Coach Tomey

About coming back to UH to coach this year, Dick Tomey said:
"It is like a lot of things in life because it is a big circle. I have number of players that are sons of guys that were on original teams, the athletic director was a player on our team and one of the assistant coaches is still here from when I was here." (scout.com)


About how the only place that he would coach is UH, Tomey said:
"There are a lot of familiar faces and the new basketball coach is even the son of guy that I coached when I was here. I feel really blessed because I am in good health and this is the only job on staff I would want and only place I would want to coach. I live here and am going to for future, so it has been great." (scout.com)


About how there is a lot that he needs to learn due to all of the changes in coaching, Tomey said:
"I have a lot to learn. Every staff calls everything differently and the terminology is different. To be in charge of all special teams is a big responsibility and I am learning all of the new players and learning where they are from. There is no question that I have a lot to learn." (scout.com)


About how there is a big difference between today's players and the players he coached years ago, Tomey said:
"Players work harder today than they have ever worked in history of football. They are more dedicated today but there are also more demands made on players' time than ever before." (scout.com)


About how football is a year-round commitment now, Tomey said:
"A player has to be fully committed. Summer workouts used to be something that players went home to do and now they stay at campus. Schools have very well structured off season programs by very confident professionals. When I started some places like Hawaii did not have a weight room and if they did it was the size of a small room at your house." (scout.com)


About how Arizona needs to have equal facilities with the rest of the Pac-12, Tomey said:
"You are not going to get ahead, but a school has to keep pace and I think Oregon has surged ahead. A couple of other schools like USC and UCLA have also not kept pace but those schools have geography." (scout.com)


Thankful for his career and family, Tomey said:
"I want to emphasize how grateful I am for the family that I have, for my wife Nancy and kids and grandchildren because the blessings I have are not professional in nature. Family is the greatest blessing and I have the health of my family and a number of grandkids all over the world." (scout.com)

http://hawaii.scout.com/2/1054025.htmlhttp://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=219&f=1136&t=7333761

No comments:

Post a Comment