Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Jake Heun reflects on his Warrior career

About how bird poop landed on his shoulder during his first day in Hawaii, Jake Heun laughed and said:
"I was like, 'This is a great start.'  People told me that was good luck. They lied." (HSA)


Rolo responded:
"That's Jake." (HSA)


About how Rolo recruited his and he was Mack's first recruit as a UH head coach, Heun said:
"Rolo (Rolovich) came out here, and he knew I needed some place to get to in the spring. My folks weren't too stoked on me staying in Alaska for a semester. These other schools wanted me to wait until summer. Rolo called me and said: 'Hey, get on a plane if you want to play running back.' I was like, 'Hell, yeah.' It's been an interesting ride." (HSA)


About how he suffered a herniated disc while weight training on the second day of training camp in 2008 (he missed that entire season), Heun said:
"My whole (left) leg went numb for six months." (HSA)


Heun said that in the spring of 2009:
"Four out of five neurologists said I shouldn't play anymore. It kind of sucks when you're never really what you used to be." (HSA)


About how he moved from RB to LB/DE instead of quitting, Heun said:
"I love football. I wasn't going to let some doctors tell me I couldn't play football." (HSA)

HSA Note: "Heun's time on defense has diminished this season as the Warriors went to a quicker scheme. But Heun has been a valuable member of special teams, an occasional linebacker, and, the past month, has practiced at running back."


Reflecting on his Warrior career, Heun said:
"It was definitely worth it. I got my education taken care of. I got to meet some good guys, and we've played some good ball. I'm glad I can go out on top." (HSA)


About how he plans to compete in MMA after earning his bachelor's degree in European Studies in May, Heun said:
"I want to fight in cages and travel. I want to fight people in every country." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20101202_Heuns_UH_stay_has_been_worth_it.html

No comments:

Post a Comment