Sunday, December 19, 2010

Feature on the Warriors who participated in UH's graduation ceremonies yesterday

About participating in UH's graduation ceremony, Blaze Soares (the first member of his family to earn a college degreee) said:
"This is a touching moment. I never could see myself graduating and walking the line. This is the best accomplishment in my life. I'm very happy. I'm stoked." (HSA)


Proud of her grandson Blaze, Loretta Szubinski said:
"I'm very proud of him. From starting so low to working his way up, he's really worked hard. He's such a cheerful kid, always happy. He's very respectful to his family." (HSA)


About how he has been working in the music industry (Phat Sounds Productions and D Boy Productions) since he finished playing for UH last year, Blaze said:
"Everything is going good." (HSA)


Abotu how he attended Hawaii Pacific University after graduating from Castle High because he did not earn enough credits in core classes at Castle, Blaze said:
"It was frustrating. I had a lot of other options (out of high school), but Hawaii is where I wanted to play. No other school mattered." (HSA)


About howt he keeps all of his football awards "in a box in my closet", but he will frame his diploma and put it on his wall, Blaze said:
"I'm very proud of this." (HSA)


About going back to school after he was injured last year while trying out with the Seattle Seahawks, Adam Leonard said:
"I was sitting at home (in Seattle) trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I asked Coach Mack about the possibility of coming back to school." (HSA)


About Mack getting him a student manager position that would pay for his tuition and school expenses at UH, Leonard said:
"He wasn't obligated to help me finish up. But he opened it up for me." (HSA)


About how he bought a one-way ticket from Seattle to Honolulu, Leonard said:
"I was determined." (HSA)


About how he completed his bachelor's degree in August but came back in December to participate in UH's graduation ceremony since UH doesn't have a summer graduation ceremony, Leonard said:
"I wanted to come back, get some pictures and make it official." (HSA)


About earning his degree and finishing his UH career with Friday's Hawaii Bowl, Dustin Blount said:
"I'll finally be going out into the world." (HSA)


About how he's recovering from his ACL surgery last month, Ryan Henry said:
"I'm doing better." (HSA)


Australia-raised Adrian Thomas said that he never imagined:
"going to school in the United States. It's been a great experience." (HSA)


About redshirting as a senior in 2009 to focus on school and earning his starting job back this season and going through graduation yesterday, Brysen "Bula" Ginlack said:
"It was hard (not to play in 2009), but it was good in the long run." (HSA)


About earning his speech degree and starting a master's degree next semester, Jett Jasper (who can play 1 more year for UH) said:
"It was a hard road, with a lot of tests, but it was worth it." (HSA)


About being excused from 2 practices to finish school projecgts, Greg Salas said:
"I was in Sinclair Library every day until 2 in the morning. I'm a real procrastinator. I do what it takes to get it done. Getting a degree is a culmination of a great experience here. Now I'm definitely ready for our bowl game." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20101219_determined_proud_warriors_receive_diplomas.html

No comments:

Post a Comment