Friday, November 12, 2010

Sol Elimimian is the West's nominee for CFL Rookie of the Year

VS = Vancouver Sun


VS Note: "Elimimian will attend the CFL award ceremonies at Edmonton's Windspear Centre as the West's nominee for rookie of the year. Davis was named as the West's choice for special teams player of the year in voting by CFL coaches and members of the Football Reporters of Canada."


VS Note: "Like Davis, Elimimian, a linebacker, finished with a flourish. He led the Lions in tackles, with 77, placing him among the CFL's top 10, even though he missed two games because of injury and really didn't solidify his position at middle linebacker until close to midseason."


About how he worried that he might not make the team after he missed almost 2 weeks of training camp with a hamstring injury, Sol said:
"I was scared, because I wasn't getting the opportunities. I was unknown, and guys get cut all the time, just for being hurt. I understood the situation. They had no reason to keep me. Like, if they'd sent me home, I wouldn't have been upset. But they gave me a fair shake. I told Wally [coach Buono] that once I got in there, he wouldn't regret the decision." (VS)


VS Note: "At the University of Hawaii, Elimimian was known as the "Pineapple Express" or the "Nigerian Nightmare", owing to his roots in Africa. He was born in Calabar, Nigeria and moved to the United States with his family so his father, Isaac, could pursue university studies. He's a retired English and philosophy professor."


About how he is not surprised at all with Sol's success, Lions teammate and his UH roommate Adam Leonard said:
"Absolutely, I'm the least surprised person about what he's been able to do. I've been witnessing his abilities for the last six years. From Day One, you could tell he's a guy who plays at a high level. All he needed was an opportunity here. I knew he was going to make the most of it." (VS)


About how it took him time to get comfortable with the CFL, Sol said:
"I really didn't get into my groove until Week 7 or Week 8. That was when I started to get comfortable.Early in the season, they weren't sure what kind of player I was. And I was hurt. But they gave me time to mature and grow." (VS)


Not worried about the cold weather that is expected for their playoff game this weekend, Sol said:
"If anything, all it [the cold] will do is motivate me." (VS)


http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/football/lions/Poor+start+great+finish+Lion+cubs/3815814/story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment