Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Q&A with Sol Elimimian in the Vancouver Sun

VS = Vancouver Sun


Asked what happened in their loss on Saturday, Sol Elimimian said:
"It was a lack of communication. We've got to communicate better. That's all it was. Three or four of us were responsible for what happened, even the DBs [defensive backs]. They didn't beat us physically. It's all on us. We'll show up Friday [in Calgary] and do a better job." (VS)


Asked why he got the personal foul in the 4th quarter, Sol said:
"Ricky did a great job. I don't blame Ricky. He definitely took advantage of our miscues. But when he takes off with the ball, he's a running back. It's kind of frustrating to get penalized for hitting a player within the rules. Regardless, I'm going to continue to be physical." (VS)


Asked if he is familiar with Lawrence Taylor, since the team issued him LT's #56, Sol said:
"Of course. He was an animal, a beast, a monster. But I can't put my name anywhere close to the greats. They [Lions] just gave me this number. I didn't ask for it. I'm just trying to do the best I can do." (VS)


Asked if he considers himself a violent player with the way he hits people without concern for his own safety and knocked RB Cory Boyd out with a concussion, Sol said:
"I play hard. I go to the limit of my physical ability. But when I hit somebody, I feel it, too. It's not just them who absorbs the force. But this is what I chose to do, and there's a price to pay for it. On any given play, I could be knocked out, or my opponent could be knocked out. As soon as I heard Cory [Boyd] was injured, I wanted to contact him. I wanted to write a letter to him. I know he has a family, too. God forbid that something negative should happen, long-term. I don't want that on my conscience." (VS)


Asked why he considered it important to get his English degree from UH, Sol said:
"My family put a strong emphasis on education and finishing what you start. My father, Isaac, is a retired English and philosophy professor from Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo (Calif.)." (VS)


Asked if his Dad's field of study influenced his choice of major, Sol said:
"I like literature, poetry, reading. I think a lot of English deals with critical thinking. I like reading about people in former times and how the state of the world and society affected them." (VS)


Asked what book he is currently reading, Sol said:
"The Bible. That's about all I have time for during the football season." (VS)


Asked if he was different than the other kids growing up in South Central LA being the son of a University professor, Sol said:
"A lot of my friends came from broken homes, but I was blessed to have both of my parents at home. That's not too common. It affected me a lot and the values I grew up with. One of my closest friends, Ivan, just got out of prison after serving five years. Role models are important. I was lucky to have a couple of good ones in my parents [Isaac and Theresa]." (VS)


Asked what it was like playing football in Hawaii, Sol said:
"My older brother, Abraham, a cornerback, played there. He told me I would really like it. But it was a big cultural difference at first. It was tough, because I couldn't just get in a car and drive home to see my folks. I got very homesick

My first year. I'd save up my money and fly home on bye weeks just to visit for two or three days. But I grew to love Hawaii. After this season is over, I'm going back there to visit some of my closest friends." (VS)


Asked who is closest to him on the BC Lions, Sol said:
"Adam Leonard. He was my roommate for three years in Hawaii and now he's my teammate on the Lions. He's a very smart player and an intelligent person. He lives in Seattle, so we go down there to visit his family when we have time off. It's like having a second home." (VS)


http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Lions+with+Solomon+Elimimian/3702499/story.html#ixzz12xKoXADc

No comments:

Post a Comment