Thursday, September 30, 2010

Other UH quotes (Jordan Gomes gave up his academic scholarship to stay eligible for football)

About how he gave up the $7,000 academic scholarship he had from the engineering department to switch his major to Hawaiian studies to remain eligible to play football (he has significantly more credits in Hawaiian studies than engineering), Jordan Gomes said:
"I'm giving up my tuition to play football." (HSA)


About how he still plans to get his engineering degree, Gomes said:
"I'm not giving up my education." (HSA)


Unsure if his hamstring will recover enough for him to play on Saturday, Rodney Bradley said:
"It probably will go down to the wire. It's a game-day decision. Right now, it doesn't look like I'll be playing." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Bradley attended yesterday's 2-hour practice, but did not participate in any of the drills. He said the left hamstring is "a little sore." He said it is "not torn," but "still pretty tight." "


About how his "personal issues" have been resolved (the problem escalated 2 days before training camp began) and he has reclaimed his starting left CB job, Lametrius Davis said:
"I was going through some stuff back home (in Portland). It was kind of hard." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Davis confided with Barrett Awai, the area director for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, as well as with teammates Jeramy Bryant, Kamalu Umu, Kawika Ornellas, Lewis Walker and Bryant Moniz."


About how the people who knew about his personal issue have supported him, Davis said:
"They got behind me and supported me as much as possible." (HSA)


With his problems now behind him, Davis said:
"I'm back to being myself." (HSA)


About how he had to go to the sideline after the third defensive play of the Colorado game, Kamalu Umu (who has moved back to the left DE spot from the right DE spot) said:
"I think I got myself too excited before the game. I wasted all of my energy. When it came to game time, it was hard for me to function." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100930_Gomes_loses_scholarship.html

No comments:

Post a Comment