Sunday, July 18, 2010

Q&A with Chad Owens

LSR = Local Sports Report


Asked what he would be doing if he wasn't playing football and why, Chad Owens said;
"If I wasn't playing football, I'd likely be working with kids, training them to become great athletes. Currently, that's what I do in the off-season and I really enjoy it; I'd really even consider coaching as a possibility. I feel that being a mentor for kids is what I'm good at - I'm a great motivator and leader." (LSR)


Asked what he wanted to be when he grew up and why, Owens said:
"As a kid growing up, I always wanted to be a professional athlete. I never knew in what sport though because I played everything, soccer, baseball, basketball and football. What attracted me to football in particular was when I was in high school, football became the sport I quickly excelled in. When I received my first letter from college, that's when I thought, "Ok, this is my ticket." " (LSR)


Asked who he idolized growing up and what impact he thinks that person had on his life, Owens said:
"When I was younger, I idolized my older cousin - he was the athlete of the family. He played college football and was very smart academically. I would always try and be like him and would go with him to play basketball at the park even though all the guys were about 5 or 6 years older than me. I'd always try and jump in and play. I looked up to him all the way up until the point where I became my own." (LSR)


Asked what is his favorite pre-game/post-game meal and why, Owens said:
"I don't want to give away my secrets…just kidding. Two days before a game, I like to get a nice steak in and the night before a game, I get pasta in me to load up on some protein and carbs. After a game I eat whatever; I just get something in me. I have a sweet tooth though, that's like my kryptonite, ice cream a la mode and all of that - oh my goodness!" (LSR)


Asked what 3 things he would bring with him if he was stranded on a deserted island, Owens said:
"If I was stranded on a deserted island and could only bring three things, I'd bring a three prong spear so I could catch some fish, my surfboard and some sunscreen." (LSR)


Asked what he considers his greatest accomplishment in life, Owens said:
"My greatest accomplishment in life is definitely getting married to Rena and having my children, Chad Jr., Areana and Sierra-Lynn. That's the best thing I could ever ask for it's such a blessing and I'm looking forward to seeing them. We'll all be able to check out the city of Toronto together." (LSR)


Asked what advice he would give to a young football player, Owens said:
"The best advice I could give to a young football player is never let someone tell you that you can't do something. If you have a goal, hold on to it and strive for it no matter what. For me, it was always "he's too small, he's not strong enough, he's not fast enough" and I guess that's what motivated me. Education has got to come first and foremost but just go for it." (LSR)


Asked what is his favorite movie of all time and why, Owens said:
"My favourite movies of all time are any of the Rocky movies because of where Rocky came from and how he got to where he was in life and the heart he had. Rocky was the underdog type and I really could relate. Predator is another good one, with Arnold Schwarzenegger, That movie has so many classic lines and growing up, I always wanted to watch it." (LSR)


Asked to name one place in the world he would love to visit and why, Owens said:
"One place I've always wanted to travel to is Africa. I love the wild-life and I'm a big National Geographic-type guy. I could sit there and watch it all day on TV, looking at the different animals, watching the lions hunt and all that. I've always told my wife I'd like to go to Africa and go on a safari." (LSR)


Asked if he could have lunch with anyone living or dead, who would it be and why, Owens said:
"If I could have lunch with anyone, I'd love to sit down with Michael Jackson. Growing up, I was a big fan. I loved his music and him as an entertainer. There are the skeptics out there regarding how he was off the stage but he's just a legend that I'd love to sit down with him, talk it up and have some lunch and say "MJ, what's going on?"…he was the man." (LSR)

http://www.localsportsreport.com/Featured/News/180650/QA-WITH-CHAD-OWENS

No comments:

Post a Comment