Friday, July 30, 2010

Feature article on Ray Hisatake being with the Carolina Panthers

About being with the Carolina Panthers while his girlfriend Charysse Bardallo is expecting their first child, Ray Hisatake said:
"It can happen any day. Being 6 hours away is hard." (HSA)


About picking out the names Jonah (Ray's brother's name) if they have a boy and Charlotte if they have a girl, Hisatake said:
"Charysse liked 'Charlotte' for a girl. When the Panthers signed me (in April), she said it was a sign because the Panthers are in Charlotte." (HSA)


HSA Note: "He described his limited experience as a "blessing," noting he has not had any serious injuries. The Panthers told his agent, Leo Goeas, that Hisatake does not have any bad football-related habits. After all, Hisatake's only football instruction was on the collegiate and pro levels."


About how he doesn't have bad habits since he never played football before college, Hisatake said:
"Some people have done things for so long, they don't want to adjust to something new. I'm more of, 'You tell me what to do, and I'll do it.'" (HSA)


About working as the #2 LG in their rookie camp and minicamp, Hisatake said:
"I don't know if it's permanent, but they had me there." (HSA)


About how the Panthers have their linemen in a 3-point stance where at UH he usually used a 2-point stance, Hisatake said:
"I still feel a little uncomfortable in the three-point. When I look at myself (on videos), I feel I don't look right. I'm learning to adjust. The first day (of camp), they said, 'Get in the three-point stance,' and I was like, 'Oh, all right.' " (HSA)


About learning Carolina's system, Hisatake said:
"The biggest difference in the NFL is the mental side. You hear it a lot, but it's true. There are so many things I have to adjust to now. It's a completely different system. The terminology is different. Not only am I worrying about the (tackle) box -- the front seven -- I have to check the corners and safeties, if they're in a man or zone or two-high. At this level, there are so many different things I have to learn." (HSA)


About how his teammates have given him a nickname already (referring to Maake Kemoeatu, a Kahuku High grad who played for the Panters), Hisatake said:
"They call me Kemo. They started doing that. I guess I'm Kemo." (HSA)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100731_Lineman_Hisatake_ready_to_adjust.html

No comments:

Post a Comment