Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Articles about how Ron Lee (UH Offensive Coordinator last year) will be an assistant coach at Kalani High School

About how he drives past the Kalani High School football practice field every day on his way to visit his parents in Aina Haina and pulled into the parking lot to watch practice, Ron Lee said:
"But it's kind of hard to see it from the car." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Within a few days, Ron Lee—a year ago the coordinator for the yard-chomping University of Hawaii football team's run-and-shoot offense—has joined the Kalani staff as a full-time volunteer coach. The Falcons haven't won a varsity game since 2004."


About how his players are lucky to have Ron Lee working with them, Kalani head coach Greg Taguchi said:
"This goes beyond X's and O's because of what an outstanding person and teacher Ron is. The players know who he is. Our kids are stable and don't show much emotion. But I sure hope they know they have an opportunity." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Lee downplays it, but plenty of local high school coaches would have been elated to bring him on as an adviser or onto their staff. Teams that are contenders for the state championship. Teams with numbers and size. Teams that haven't lost nearly 50 games in a row."


HSA Note: "He could have hung on for the paycheck at UH after his play-calling duties were stripped, and, as receivers coach, he could have mentored a potential All-American this season in Greg Salas. But he was wise to leave a frustrating situation that could have just gotten worse, no matter the good intentions of all involved. Lee has been around long enough to know that's how friendships—and teams—are damaged or even ruined."


About how Kalani has won 1 game since the 2000 season aside from a forfeit a couple of years ago, Lee said:
"I don't even want to know the records. It doesn't matter. I don't know how many games we will win. We just need to compete and have fun, and go from there. This reminded me that you can do some good." (HSA)


About how he discussed coaching at Punahou, Lee said:
"I talked to Kale (Ane, the Buffanblu head coach), who I really like, about possibly getting involved working with him. But it's not like they need me. I like being on the field. I don't want to be a consultant, I want to coach." (HSA)


HSA Note: "The big field with the little team off Kalanianaole Highway is where it all started for Ron Lee. He was a Kalani junior varsity coach in 1967, with Al Wills, Norm Chow's brother Mike, and Bill Von Arnswaldt. Skippa Diaz was with the varsity."


About how they will be undersized and may have to forfeit games due to a lack of players if they have too many injuries, Taguchi said:
"We have what we have and we do our best. No excuses." (HSA)


About how he never would have thought that Ron Lee would be helping his team when he first called him for advice 8 years ago about the run-and-shoot, Taguchi said:
"I guess you can never count anything out." (HSA)


About how he's still running the Outrigger Showroom 4 nights a week for his "real" job, Ron Lee said that he was looking for something else to do:
"I spent 12 hours a day at UH. I have all day to do nothing and I'm not used to that." (HSA)


About how he doesn't care that he doesn't have an official title (he is a volunteer coach), Ron Lee said:
"I'm getting a lot of the fun. I'm really the lucky guy. I'd be in agony if I wasn't coaching." (HSA)


About how Ron Lee is such a good teacher for this offense, Taguchi said:
"It's about inquiry, asking the receivers and quarterbacks and slotbacks what they're thinking about. As a teacher, I notice it. That's the trend in teaching now. You ask. You're patient." (HSA)


About how he missed coaching, Ron Lee said:
"I didn't retire. I still work at the Outrigger (Hotel). I found that I missed coaching." (HSA)


About how Taguchi's dedication is one reason why he's volunteering at Kalani, Lee said:
"He's been doing it for awhile. He knows what he's doing. Greg takes the time to study. For seven, eight years he's been coming to UH. He works hard. He starts at 6:30, 7 in the morning and stays until 8 or 9 at night. That's one of the reasons I'm here. He puts the time in." (HSA)


About he the low turnout at Kalani isn't new for him, Lee said:
"We've been through it before. When I started with Cal at Saint Louis, we had low numbers. At Kaiser, we had 35 guys." (HSA)


About their WRs, Lee said:
"There are five, six kids who are pretty decent. When you get on the field, it doesn't matter if it's college or high school. The kids get better every day. The coaching is the same. Whether they win or lose doesn't matter as long as they get better. That's what makes it fun." (HSA)


About the similarity between his players at Kalani and the players he coached at UH, Lee said:
"I think they're very excited. They understand the offense and they'll keep getting better, just like (Greg) Salas and Davone (Bess). From July to December, the understanding of concepts of coverage will get better." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100728_Ron_Lee_on_his_return_Im_really_the_lucky_guy.html

http://www.staradvertiser.com/columnists/furtherreview/20100728_I_want_to_coach.html

No comments:

Post a Comment