Thursday, July 1, 2010

Article about Issac Sopanga visits Hawaii whenever he has a chance

Unhappy with a photo that a reporter took of him, Isa'ako "Issac" Sopoaga said:
"That's a bad picture. Where's the shaka sign? I always have a shaka sign. When I make a tackle, I have the shaka sign. Take it again." (HSA)


Looking about UH's athletic complex, Sopoaga said:
"Without this place, I wouldn't be where I am today. When I was here, I was a student-athlete. Now I'm a pro athlete." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Sopoaga lived full-time in Hawaii a little more than two years, playing for the Warriors in 2002 and 2003. But he said he draws his "spiritual strength" from the islands. So much so that he and his wife - they have four children - own a house in Hawaii Kai and are looking to purchase a second home here."


About how he can relax in Hawaii, Sopoaga said:
"I like it here. On the mainland, it's busy - too many businesses. I can relax here. It's peaceful." (HSA)


About to start his 7th season in the NFL, Sopoaga said:
"To be part of the NFL is amazing. I never thought it would happen, never dreamed of it. I give thanks to our Heavenly Father for all of his blessings." (HSA)


About how it takes more than just strength to play DT and NT in the NFL, Sopoaga said:
"Football is more than running and lifting." (HSA)


About how he devoted extra time to studying playbooks and videos of opponents, Sopoaga said:
"That really helped a lot." (HSA)


About how the 49er coaches were concerned about how he is playing in a Bay Area rugby league, Sopoaga said:
"You have to trust me. This is what I need in the offseason as an extra workout." (HSA)


About how rugby's non-stop action prepares him to track ball-carriers, Sopoaga said:
"Everything is fast in rugby. The ball doesn't even stop, not like football. I always tell people rugby was my first sport. I love it." (HSA)


HSA Note: "The 6-foot-2, 330-pound Sopoaga has developed into a versatile defensive lineman. He now plays defensive end in the 49ers' 3-4 scheme. In 2008, he signed a five-year contract worth about $20 million."


About how the best thing about having money is that it allows to spend time each year in Hawaii, Sopoaga said:
"This is my second home." (HSA)


http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100701_Ex-Warrior_Sopoaga_returns_to_find_peace_strength.html

No comments:

Post a Comment