Thursday, June 17, 2010

Warrior Quotes from the HSA 6/17/10 (Tiwanak, Cory Daniel, walk for Heffernan's daughter)

HSA Note: "Named after the late actor Charles Bronson, Hawaii football player Bronson Tiwanak was born to step into tough roles."


About how he will enter training camp as their #1 center after the injury to Lefiti, Bronson Tiwanak said:
"I hate to see a teammate go down. I have to step up and do my best. I don't walk around telling myself, 'I'm No. 1.' As far as I'm concerned, it's open competition. I'm trying to work hard every day." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Yesterday morning, Tiwanak made most of the snaps during unsupervised drills. The players coordinate the twice-weekly sessions at Ching Athletic Complex."


About how Lefiti took most of the reps during their 15 spring practices but his recurring left foot problems led to his surgery, Tiwanak said:
"I figured it was something minor and he would be back. But when I found out how long he would be out, I was kind of shocked." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Tiwanak also has endured a long waiting period. After graduating from Damien Memorial School in 2006, he was at Fresno City for two years. In 2007, Bryant Moniz, now at UH, was Fresno City's starting quarterback."


About how he was hard on him when he entered UH in Fall 2008 but could not practice or play because he did not have enough transferable credits, Tiwanak said:
"It was hard to come around and watch other guys practice." (HSA)


About how his last haircut was 3 years ago, Tiwanak said:
"I didn't want to pay for haircuts when I went to the mainland. I wanted to save money, so I let it grow." (HSA)


About how he had to sit out most of the 2009 season after getting walking pneumonia during training camp, losing 50 pounds (he was down to 205), Cory Daniel said:
"I ended up practicing with a 103-degree fever. I didn't know I had a fever. I thought it was the weather. It probably made it worse." (HSA)


Cory Daniel says that he now weighs 240 and:
"my immune system is up." (HSA)


About how he has competed in unsupervised workouts the past 2 weeks despite pain in his right ankle, Daniel said:
"It doesn't matter if I tape it. Internally, it's sore." (HSA)


About how he will get an MRI in the next couple of weeks but wants to put off any surgery, Daniel said:
"I want to hold off and see how it goes during the season. I don't want to miss any more time." (HSA)


About participating in the walk-a-thon benefiting Tommy Heffernan's daughter, Mana Lolotai said:
"It was inspiring." (HSA)


HSA Note: "Lolotai was one of the few Warriors to complete the 38-mile walk from Hauula to the base of Diamond Head."


About how he didn't complete the walk, Kaniela Tuipulotu said:
"I made it to the Hygienic Store (in Kaneohe)." (HSA)


About people that only made it to Kaneohe, Lolotai said:
"Fourteen miles doesn't cut it in a 38-mile world." (HSA)


About how he also stopped in Kaneohe, Aaron Brown (who wore slippers during the walk) said:
"The bottom of my feet were molded to the bottom of the slippers. It was pretty painful when I took them off." (HSA)


About how it was harder during the downhill portion of the Likelike Highway than the uphill portion, Lolotai said:
"When we got out of the tunnel, it started pouring. My shoes got all wet. I started getting blisters. The craziest thing was going through the tunnel. The sidewalk was maybe a yard wide. We were hugging the wall while cars and motorcycles were zooming along." (HSA)


About seeing the final destination of Diamond Head, Lolotai said:
"Diamond Head was playing mind games with me. You could see it, but it was so far away. It was a good experience." (HSA)


HSA Note: "The group finished in 15 hours. Proceeds will be used to pay tuition to a special-needs school for Heffernan's daughter."

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100617_UHs_center_finds_himself_in_a_new_role.html

No comments:

Post a Comment