Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Feature article on Daniel Libre signing with the Edmonton Eskimos

MG = Montreal Gazette


MG Note: "Had more time continued to pass, he was going to go to Japan, just so he could play again. Instead, the running back got a call from his new agent which sent him bolting from Hawaii to Edmonton so he could try to establish a foothold with the Canadian Football League's Edmonton Eskimos."


About practicing in Edmonton, Daniel Libre said:
"It's cold here, being from Hawaii, so there's some culture shock, but I like it. I had not run like that for a while. That was a lot of reps today. I can't wait for the pre-season game." (MG)


Impressed with Libre's blocking, Edmonton GM Danny Maciocia said:
"We know what he's capable of doing — with and without the football. He can carry it downfield, unimpeded, but what really impressed us is what he does when he doesn't have the football. He can block, which is so important in our game." (MG)


MG Note: "While the native of the Big Island waited, he secured a major in sociology and a minor in art."


About his year away from football, Libre said (after impression Maciocia and Edmonton head coach Richie Hall with his workout) said:
"A lot of people thought I just fell off the map." (MG)


About how he is hungry to play football again, Libre said:
"I'm so hungry. It was pretty depressing to sit out that '09 season. I saw what the team could do on Sunday and just knowing this is the pre-season for them, I was impressed. I know they're just going to get better and that puts more pressure on me to get better faster. Had I not ended up here, I was thinking about going to Japan. I just wanted to play." (MG)


Asked if Libre will be sharp after missing a year of football, Hall said:
"Will he be as sharp as he would have been had he been playing consistently? No. That curve coming back is a big one but it's just a matter of him coming out and running around. Once he gets the ball, his natural ability will take over. It's just a matter of him getting adapted to what we do, the terminology and the CFL game. I thought he did a good job today. He's got some quickness, some good change of direction." (MG)

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Esks+prospect+ecstatic+return+gridiron/3158533/story.html#ixzz0qzvMsxNx

No comments:

Post a Comment