Monday, May 3, 2010

Feature article on how Colt Brennan is still confident

WP = Washington Post

WP Note: "If there's one truth for anyone who writes about the Redskins, it is this: every so often -- maybe every couple weeks, or maybe every couple days, or maybe every couple hours -- you'll get an e-mail asking about Colt Brennan's future with the organization. It's remarkable. Without a doubt, I get more e-mails about Brennan than any other single player, and I know some colleagues have said the same. This for a man who has never thrown an NFL regular-season pass."


About his criticism in the media, Colt said that media members are:
"trying sometimes to discredit why I get a lot of support." (WP)


About how his critics say that he's cocky, Colt said:
"I'm very confident. People say I'm a cocky, arrogant guy. I'm not. I'm not. I'm just not gonna let anyone convince me that I can't be a great quarterback in this league someday." (WP)


Asked if he gets frustrated when he sees the chances that players like JaMarcus Russell have been given, Colt said:
"I mean, it's frustrating because when you get drafted high like that, you also get opportunities. You get financial [rewards], but you also get an opportunity. And one thing is, when you get drafted late, you just have to work for that opportunity. That's the way it is in this league. You don't get the reps, you don't get the experience, you just have to really wait for your opportunity. That guy was given a great opportunity, and you wish you would have seen him do a lot more with it. So it is frustrating, and that's just something I keep hoping and waiting for, for that opportunity to come my way and for somebody really to buy in and say let's give this kid a chance." (WP)


About how everyone knows that Donovan McNabb (who he spent some time training with in Arizona during the offseason) is their starting QB, Colt said:
"Right now everybody kind of knows who the starter is for our team this year, and that's obvious. I'd like to think that down the road someday, as I develop as a quarterback, that I could be a great quarterback in this league and a starter down the road, absolutely. It's not about me being a starter right now. I've got a great opportunity to show this coaching staff what the future could be." (WP)


WP Note: "After four surgeries in two years, Brennan said he's healthy now. He said he likely has a better rapport with Kyle Shanahan than he did with Jim Zorn, because of their similar ages. Shanahan told Brennan that he loves his throwing motion and doesn't want him to change a thing, and that he needs to concentrate on his decision-making."


About the support he has gotten from Washington fans (including the Cult of Colt status he's had for 2 years), Colt said:
"I'm really grateful for the way the Redskins nation has been toward me, and that didn't change last year when I had some adversity. I mean, obviously the media turned on me real fast, but that's part of the job, that just happens. And Chase [Daniel] had a great preseason, we can't take anything away from Chase, but he's also got a Super Bowl ring right now. It's funny how life works itself out....

Like I said, there's one thing that's never wavered. Redskins fans out there, through the thick and thin, they're always there, and that's something I've got to experience. They've been there for me through the thick and thin and it's really humbling, it's really exciting. And one thing I just want to do now is not only pay back the franchise that's been great to me these last two years but pay back the fans. And right now as a backup but hopefully down the road someday potentially as a starter, and that's just what I'm working for." (WP)


http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/05/colt_brennan_is_still_confiden.html

No comments:

Post a Comment