Friday, May 28, 2010

Davone Bess explains why he won't sell his #15 to Brandon Marshall

SFSS = South Florida Sun-Sentinel


SFSS Note: "Bess told me today he has no plans to give up the number he took when he reached the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2008. It doesn't matter that he'd never worn the number before — not in college or high school or anywhere else."


About why he won't sell his #15 to Brandon Marshall, Bess said:
"It's been a long journey, and I just feel like I had to start from ground zero with that number. It's just a lot deeper than what it seems to be. … For me to go through what I went through with that number, it speaks measures. … It meant I overcame a lot and I'm still trying to overcome more. I'm my own biggest critic. I'm just trying to get better and better and better." (SFSS)


SFSS Note: "Bess and a friend back in Hawaii, where he starred in college, are producing T-shirts with images of Bess, the Aloha and Sunshine states and, of course, the No. 15. Proceeds will benefit Bess's newly formed charity, which also will prominently feature the No. 15, although it's still in the name-selection process."


About telling Marshall that he won't give up #15, Bess said:
"There were no problems from the get-go. He was a man about the situation. I was a man about the situation. We sat there and we had a talk. I know it would mean a lot to him. It means a lot to me as well. We're teammates and we wanted to get past that stage and now we can focus on football and help each other." (SFSS)


About how he could have gotten $50k or more from Marshall for that number, Bess said:
"That's just me. I think that's a [sign] of my character, period. Everything isn't about money. Obviously whatever he offered me would have been great money. I could have definitely used it. But with me some things are deeper than just the materialistic things." (SFSS)


About how he might have given up his number last year, Bess said:
"I told him if he would have come here after last season, there's a possibility I would have offered it. "I felt like I was selling a part of me, and I just didn't want to go through that." (SFSS)


About the kids that already have "Bess 15" Dolphins jerseys, Bess said:
"That''s motivation, too." (SFSS)

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/05/miami-dolphins-davone-bess-isnt-giving-up-his-number.html

No comments:

Post a Comment