Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cooper Pulluer talks about his last-minute offer from Washington and his decommitment to UH

DM = Dawgman.com

About being pulled out of class to speak with Washington LB coach Mike Cox on the phone on Monday, Cooper Pulluer said:
"He said that we've got a great opportunity with a possible commitment dropping out. If that were to happen, we'd like you to offer you a scholarship to come play for us." (DM)


About his happiness at receiving the offer from U-Dub, Pelluer said:
"I've always thought about the possibility of U-Dub offering me at the last minute." (DM)


DM Note: "But now? A possible spot on the team he grew up watching? The team where his Dad Scott coached for six years during two different stints? It was beyond his imagination. But there was a kicker; he couldn't tell anyone about it except for his parents. The UW staff wouldn't know for sure the details until late Monday night, so Pelluer had to go through the rest of his day at school and basketball practice with a secret burning a Huskies-sized hole through his stomach. The wait was unbearable."


About the phone call he received from Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian, Pelluer said:
"He laid down the words, 'We'd like to offer you a scholarship'. It happened." (DM)


About how he talked with his parents and then called Sarkisian back with his commit to Washington, Pelluer said:
"Once he said it I knew I would be a Dawg by the end of the night. I grew up a Dawg. It's a dream come true." (DM)


DM Note: "It's a little ironic, simply because if he had ended up at Washington State, he would not only have been a fourth-generation Cougar, but a fourth generation Cougar football player. But WSU never came calling, so it was the Huskies that picked up the slack."


About how the Washington coaches saw the potential in his 6'4", 224-pound son, Pulluer's father said:
"They saw the potential, they realized that he's got a lot of upside. And the Huskies did a phenomenal job of staying with him and keeping in touch and letting him know that something might happen in the last minute." (DM)


About how his father has supported him throughout the recruiting process, Pulluer said:
"He's been so supportive throughout. He's been right there. It was so nice to be able to come home and have my own coach. He's one of my best friends. It's a big thing for the both of us." (DM)


About the tough phone call he had to make to UH Assistant Coach Chris Tormey, Pelluer said:
"It was tough. I appreciate everything he's done for me. But he understands where I'm coming from. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I just love it here, and U-Dub…it's just one of the coolest places to be. I had no idea this would happen. I was set to go to Hawaii. The coaching staff is great, and I really enjoyed my visit over there. I definitely saw myself going there, but once this opportunity came about, it was just tough to say no." (DM)


About telling Sarkisian about his commit 3 hours after he talked with Tormey, Pelluer said:
"He was excited. I'm just excited to be part of that first class. They have good things going and I truly believe we're headed in the right direction, getting back to U-Dub football and what it's all about." (DM)

http://washington.scout.com/2/943141.html

No comments:

Post a Comment