Friday, January 1, 2010

Feature story on Mana Silva

HTH = Hawaii Tribune-Herald


HTN Note: "Silva will host an all-sports clinic with Warrior teammates Hogan Rosehill and Ikaika Mahoe on Jan. 4, focusing on improving speed, agility and power, and reducing risk of major injury. The cost is $20 and proceeds will benefit the Ronald McDonald House, where Silva and his wife Keilah stayed for two weeks when Kauahe was being treated at Kapiolani Medical Center after his premature birth. That was two years ago. Now, Kauahe is a healthy boy, and the experience swayed Silva to hold a clinic to not only teach sports skills, but also get his message across of overcoming obstacles."


About holding a fundraiser for the Ronald McDonald House, Mana Silva said:
"It's a good charity to give back to. My dad (Maurice) came up with the idea. I also want to share my story about hard work and making sacrifices, but give the kids a good time." (HTH)


About earning a scholarship before the season began, Silva said:
"Getting the scholarship was a good feeling. It was rewarding. It takes a lot of hard work. You have to work to where you want to be. You can come from Hilo and make it at the Division I level. That's the main thing I want to convey, living a dream. That was my dream to play at a Division I college. It's great feeling coming out of the tunnel at Aloha Stadium. Everyone is yelling and there's smoke in your face. You get to play and entertain the fans. For me, it was a long time coming." (HTH)


HTH Note: "The 6-foot-1 junior led UH with six interceptions and was fourth in tackles with 74, but his season had its share of potholes, including struggles with his weight an a brief tenure as a backup."


About being uncomfortable when he walked on at Oregon State, Silva said:
"I didn't accomplish what I wanted. It was not my time." (HTH)


HTH Note: "During finals week, his son was born, further influencing him to reconsider UH, which showed interest in him, and return home. He sat out in 2007 due to NCAA transfer rules and the next season played in 11 games and recorded just 10 tackles. But he landed on the conference's all-academic team, which led to his UH scholarship."


About handling the demands of being a father, UH student, Warrior player, and husband, Silva said:
"You have to set your priorities straight and get everything in order. Then things fall into place. It's hard but it's fun, though, to balance everything. My son and I watch film, balancing football and family time. He likes watching film with me. I'll also take him to the beach to give my wife a break." (HTH)


HTH Note: "This past season, Silva's schedule looked a little like this:

* Getting up at 5:30 a.m. and leaving his apartment near the convention center and arriving at the UH locker room 15 minutes later to get taped up for practice, which runs from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.

* Then he would catch a one-hour break after practice, heading home to see his son and give his wife some much-needed freedom. Keilah, a nursing major, is taking online classes at UH.

* Classes would run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. After that drain on the brain, Silva would have two hours to go back home again before a two-hour football meeting -- with all the studying and subsequent results UH fans see on game day."

* If he felt exhausted after arriving home at 6:15 p.m., Silva could find comfort in playing with his son and reconnecting with his wife, then fighting drowsiness to hit the books late at night, knowing it's the same routine the next day."


About how all of their starters in the secondary come back next season so they should be much better, Silva said:
"Next season our secondary will be clicking. We won't be playing off what we read. We'll rely on instinct. All of our starters come back. The defense will be a lot faster. Next season, we'll not just react. It'll help us speed-wise. The game will be a lot slower for us next season." (HTH)


About how he didn't start a few games this season, partially due to the 20 pounds that he gained, Silva said:
"Several games I didn't start. It hit me hard mentally. I'm not used to not starting. I've always started. I hit rock bottom, but one of my coaches said, 'Keep a great attitude.' And I worked even harder. I got my job back. I got out of weight. I was playing closer to 220 pounds, instead of 200. I kept eating too much. I couldn't move as well. After I came back out of it, that made me a better person. I know I can fight through tough times." (HTH)


About how the UNLV loss hurt their team mentally, Silva said:
"After the UNLV game (34-33 loss), that hit us hard mentally. Defensively, we were lacking and we struggled. From there, our confidence went down. We were not able to find a way to win and do things. It came down to doing things right on the field. Then we won four games and people started believing. The funny thing is Coach Mac told us we'd go to a bowl game at the time. The winning streak felt good. But that Wisconsin game slipped away. They're everything we want
to be: Big, fast and strong. They were a little too much to bear. We've lost a few playmakers (Blaze Soares and John Estes), but next season we'll have a bunch of guys with game experience. That will help a lot." (HTH)

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2010/01/01/sports/sports01.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment