Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Greg Salas, John Estes, Blaze Soares and Aaron Kia made the All-WAC team

About being named to the All-WAC first team, Greg Salas said:
"It's already next season. This season is over with now, officially. We just have to start looking forward to next season and start training hard." (HSB)


HSB Note: "Estes retained a spot on the All-WAC first team for the third straight year and was joined by Salas and Soares. Kia was named to the second team. Estes started every game from the 2006 opener at Alabama to last Saturday's season finale against Wisconsin to set an NCAA record for games played. He was named the Warriors' most valuable player on Sunday and is among six finalists for the Rimington Award, given to the nation's top center."


About being named All-WAC for the third straight year, John Estes said:
"It's good to get recognition from the rest of the WAC. It's good to see the other guys on the team get on the All-WAC team." (HA)


About playing in every game of his Warrior career, Estes said:
"I hurt a lot of times through that, but I really just didn't allow myself to sit out. That's what I'm most proud of ... contributing for 54 straight games." (HSB)


About how he'll graduate with his Communications degree this month and will spend the coming months training for the NFL, Estes (the 5th player to earn first-team All-WAC honors 3 times--Gary Allen, Davone Bess, Jason Elam and Al Noga) said:
"That's what I'm excited about; now it's just football." (HSB)


Praising Blaze, Mack said:
"Of all the linebackers I've ever coached, he's as good a hitter as I've ever been around. He's a football player." (HSB)


About starting all 13 games this season after having an injury-plagued career, Blaze Soares said:
"I stayed healthy this past season. I've been blessed, and I've been fortunate. I give all grace to the Lord." (HA)


Praising Cal Lee and Mike Smith for coaching him, Blaze said:
"Coach Cal taught me how to become a linebacker. Coach Mike took it to another level. I was blessed to have those two coaches in my life. I see them as guardian angels." (HA)


Wishing they could play in the Hawaii Bowl, Blaze said:
"I wish I had one more snap with my brothers. IIt's sad, but it's life. In life, things don't always go as planned. You have to keep pushing forward. We didn't get the big finish. I'm sorry for that." (HA)


About preparing for the NFL and not appealing for another year of eligibility, Blaze said:
"As of right now my chapter at UH is done and it's time to close the books and start a new chapter in my life. Hopefully the NFL is what it is. My dream was always to be an NFL player, and the door is cracked right now. I just have to get my foot in the door and try to get there. All I need is the opportunity." (HSB)


About making first team All-WAC, Greg Salas said:
"I set little individual goals for myself before the season, just something to shoot for, and this was one of them. As far as the team goes, that's the most important thing, but it didn't turn out too well this year, so we have to try harder." (HSB)


About not breaking the single-season reception and yardage records after being hurt in the Wisconsin game, Greg Salas said:
"It would have been nice to get some of those things, but that's not what my focus is. It's winning games. I wasn't able to be out there helping my team win a game. That's what I'm most disappointed about." (HA)


Happy that Aaron Kia was selected to be All-WAC, Mack said:
"I was glad to see Aaron Kia get recognized. It's tough playing left tackle, and I thought he did a great job of it." (HSB)


About being named second team All-WAC, Aaron Kia said:
"It feels good to make a team, period. I really didn't think I'd make it, but I'm happy I got it. It's bittersweet happiness because of how the season ended." (HA)

http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091208/SPORTS0201/912080363&template=UHsports

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/sportsnews/20091208_Salas_Estes_Soares_are_All-WAC.html

No comments:

Post a Comment