Saturday, November 7, 2009

Chad Owens will get to play today for the Montreal Alouettes

MG = Montreal Gazette


MG Note: "Chad Owens won't begin to suggest it was easy. Not for a minute. Practising day after day for nearly four months knowing he was unlikely to play. And that was only one aspect. On the Alouettes' practice roster since July 14, he was earning perhaps $1,000 per week before taxes - and probably less - while supporting a wife and three children. But dreams don't die easily."


About working hard despite not playing the entire season before this game (the final regular season game of the season), Chad Owens said:
"A lot goes to staying mentally strong, knowing you're not getting paid a lot. Things cross your mind, but quitting was never one. I'm here because I love playing football. This is the career path I've chosen. And my pro career has been filled with ups and downs. It has been a roller-coaster ride. But this is the reason why I get up and come to work, regardless of the circumstances." (MG)


MG Note: "The 27-year-old, who has been on the Als' negotiation list since his days at the University of Hawaii, hasn't played in earnest since 2008, when he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee with Colorado of the defunct Arena Football League. The Als arguably have been playing out the string for weeks, since clinching first place in the East. Not Owens. To say he's eager would be a gross understatement."


Happy that he'll get a chance to play today, Owens said:
"I just want to play. I haven't had a chance to do a lot of that. To be able to be out there, to have that taste, that's what I've missed and will remember. I'm going to let it all hang out. You're going to see a kid who was punished and wasn't allowed to play with his friends on the playground. I get to play. That's my mentality. I'm going to have fun. There's no pressure." (MG)


Looking forward to Owens getting his chance to play, receivers coach Marcus Brady said:
"I think he'll play well. He's very fast, quick and can change direction in a heartbeat. He's got great hands. Let's see how he fits into the offence." (MG)


About his football career after college, Owens said:
"It has been a pretty good journey. I respect the game and the privilege to play. No matter where I've played, I figure I've got the advantage, just because of how confident I am. I might not be the prototypical 6-foot-4 receiver, but this is what I've got. This is what God blessed me with. And maybe I've got what the prototypical receiver doesn't have. Quickness. I never look at my size as a disadvantage." (MG)


http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Owens+eager+live+dream/2195478/story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment