Sunday, August 16, 2009

UH's newcomers completed their required jump off the 10-meter board yesterday

HA Note: "As part of the annual pool day, first-year Warriors were required to jump off the 10-meter board at the Duke Kahanamoku Aquatic Complex."

About doing the 10-meter jump with support from Spencer Smith, Tank Hopkins said:
"I can't swim. I had to go. Spence said he'd save me, and he did." (HA)

Referring to how he was a long-jumper in high school, Rodney Bradley said:
"That was the longest jump. I'm terrified of heights. I said a little prayer first. 'Lord, be with me.' And then I jumped. I tried to make it look easy, even though it was killing me." (HA)

About how he sat at the edge of the board and asked Chizzy Dimude to give him a push, Alex Green said:
"I wasn't going to jump on my own. It was fun. Crazy, but fun." (HA)

HA Note: "Punter Alex Dunnachie, who was raised in Australia, responded to a chant that is popular in his country at sporting events. As he stepped to the board's edge, he yelled out: "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!" His teammates yelled back: "Oy! Oy! Oy!" Then Dunnachie jumped."

About how he's going to always get that chant going for him, Alex Dunnachie said:
"Every chance I get, I'm going to get them going." (HA)

About making the jump, Gordy Shaw said:
"I guarantee I was the oldest guy to go off the platform today. You don't think about it much. Like my dad used to say: 'It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end.'" (HA)

Referring to how he jumped off La'ie Point several times, Aulola Tonga (the last person to jump) said:
"It was higher than La'ie Point." (HA)

About how he offered to jump with Tonga to help him, Blaze Soares said:
"I told him I'd jump with him on '3.' I jumped, and I looked, and it was me by myself. He made me kind of mad. I said, 'I'm going to come up there and I'm going to stick you.'" (HA)

About how he jumped after he got Blaze made, Tonga said:
"After I heard Blaze was going to tackle me, I jumped off." (HA)

About how Tonga jumped before he was able to climb up the diving platform, Blaze said:
"By the time I got up there, he was off. It's kind of funny. It's a fun activity. I'm glad we had a pool day." (HA)

About how he had a hard time jumping off the platform, Green said:
"At first I thought it would be not that bad. When I got up there, I looked down and 'oh my God.' ... My heart was beating so fast. It's crazy." (HSB)

Happy that he got through the 10-meter board jump, Green said:
"Now that it's done I feel good. I feel a little more prideful that I did it." (HSB)

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/sportsnews/20090816_defense_dishes_out_some_pain.html

http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090816/SPORTS0201/908160451&template=UHsports

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Need help resetting my password.
    Thank you,
    John Musca
    John Musca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need more info about Shopping center malls? You are welcome! http://center.goodnano-av.com/

    ReplyDelete