Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Jim Zorn wants to have Colt get more playing time during the preseason

WT = Washington Times

WT Note: "Neither Todd Collins nor Colt Brennan threw a pass for the Washington Redskins last season. That's the plan again this season as long as starting quarterback Jason Campbell stays healthy. But that doesn't mean the Redskins' failed attempts last month to replace Campbell with Jay Cutler or Mark Sanchez didn't affect the two backups."

About how it would have affected his chances if Washington got Jay Cutler or Mark Sanchez during the offseason, Colt said:
"[Cutler has] already played for a couple of years, and they would have committed a lot [of money] to him. It was going to set me back. I know Mark; we grew up in Orange County together. Even if they gave him a big check, I have a year in this offense under my belt, and we would've competed. If anything, you can look at it as a positive and have it push you that much more." (WT)

WT Note: "Zorn confirmed that Collins still holds the No. 2 job, but third-stringer Brennan played well in the preseason last year and is looking to make bigger strides this season."

About how he has improved a lot during the past year, Colt said:
"I can already feel this gigantic difference from the quarterback I was out here last year to the quarterback I am now. Not only because I'm healthy but because I'm so much more confident with not only the playbook but the people around me, the coaches and the whole environment. This time last year, I was four or five months after hip surgery. Instead of being 225 pounds and not that mobile, I'm 214 and a much more active quarterback." (WT)

WT Note: "Collins said he wants to play "as long as I can still make the plays," but he's on the downside of his career. Brennan is all upside."

About how he wants to see Colt play more during the preseason, Jim Zorn said:
"Todd has been working out religiously. He [has embraced] the offense with full passion, and I'm going to get him some time in preseason, but I want to see Colt more. I'm still working on his feet. He wants to prance. I tell him, 'Quit acting like a coyote in a snowfield: Just drive, set, step and throw.' He's learning. I'm looking for him to really step up and take charge. He's taking little steps, but he's not ready yet." (WT)

WT Note: "Brennan also throws many of his passes sidearm, an approach that works for him but one that Zorn doesn't think can be effective on certain throws."

About how he needs to prove that he is ready to move up the depth chart, Colt said:
"What Coach has really done is try to slowly make it a little bit more orthodox, but he hasn't taken away what I'm really confident about, and that's getting the ball from point A to point B. Last year I was put to the test: 'Is this kid an NFL quarterback?' I think I passed that test. This year, it's up to me to prove I can move up the depth chart and build towards a future where I can hopefully be a starting quarterback in the NFL." (WT)

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/05/quarterbacks-part-of-backup-plan/

No comments:

Post a Comment