Friday, May 1, 2009

Feature article on David Veikune in the Canton Repository

CR = Canton Repository

About how his mother grew up in Canton, David Veikune said before a minicamp practice:
"She went to high school in Canton. What high school? I’m not sure." (CR)

CR Note: "Sheila (Kerr) Veikune is a 1975 graduate of St. Thomas Aquinas."

Excited about the Browns drafting him, Veikune said:
“I was excited about going to the Browns. I still have a lot of family around Canton ... all my cousins ... Mark, Claudia ... They’re all so excited the Browns picked me. I haven’t seen ’em since I was in sixth grade, a lot of them. Some, I haven’t seen since I was a baby." (CR)

"It’s a blessing to play for the Browns and to reunite with my family." (CR)

CR Note: "Sheila Kerr moved to Alaska after graduating from Ohio State. There she met Oma Veikune, a body-builder whose titles include former Mr. Alaska. David was born in Anchorage."

About Alaska, Veikune said:
"I remember Alaska, even though I was just a kid. I remember it never getting dark because of the northern lights. Mom is a pharmacist, and to get promoted we had to move around quite a bit. We were in New Mexico and Arizona and finally Hawaii. Hawaii’s our last stop." (CR)

About how he won't miss being near famous surfing beaches, Veikune said:
"I’m a football player. Not a surfer." (CR)

Evaluating Veikune, Cleveland GM George Kokinis said:
"Big-time motor. He finishes, he runs to the football, and he can get to the quarterback. That size, that versatility, that motor ... we went after it. He’s a smart kid we could probably use in a lot of positions." (CR)

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/browns/x845561176/Aloha-Ohio-David-Veikune-is-happy-to-be-a-Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment