Sunday, May 17, 2009

Davone Bess and Greg Camarillo discuss Miami drafting two WRs

PBP = Palm Beach Post

Asked about Miami drafting WRs Patrick Turner from USC and Brian Hartline from Ohio State, Bess said:
“Obviously we took a lot of criticism last season for not having enough depth, so we knew something was going to happen eventually. But at the same time this raises (expectations), to go out and be the best we can be.” (PBP)

About the WRs they drafted, Camarillo said that he was:
"impressed with the people we picked up. With these coaches the whole theme is competition. Competition brings out the best in each position and bettering the team through that. That’s what they did. They brought in some corners to compete, and they brought in receivers to compete, and we all know we’re going to be fighting for playing time.” (PBP)

About all the experts who said that Miami didn't have enough talent at the WR position, Camarillo said:
“I’ve always been used to being an underdog, people telling me I wasn’t talented enough. People said going into last year that we didn’t have enough talented receivers. But you saw the production in our passing game, so it obviously was a solid group of receivers. We don’t need a big name; we know we have big talent. We needed depth and they went and picked up some talent there, so it’ll be interesting to see how everything works out.” (PBP)

PBP Note: "Camarillo and Bess finished second and third behind Ted Ginn Jr. in receptions, but just barely. Ginn finished with 56 catches, Camarillo 55 and Bess 54. While Camarillo has some job security after signing a three-year, $6 million extension just before he was injured while trying to make a tackle after an interception against New England last November, Bess knows he’ll have to prove himself, just as he did after coming to the team a year ago as a free agent out of Hawaii."

About fighting to keep his job with the Dolphins, Bess said:
“I’m taking it the same exact way I did last year. I don’t want to change anything. My drive, my work ethic, my determination and my focus got me through the season last year, so I want to approach the season this year the way I did last.” (PBP)

PBP Note: "Like Bess, Hartline is billed as a possession receiver. Bess said he looks forward to the competition if, as he could be the case, the two wind up fighting for one job."

About Hartline (drafted in the 4th round), who will be competing him for the slot receiver position, Bess said:
“I know he’s an excellent athlete. The competition is going to be there, and when the dust settles we’ll see who’s here and who worked hard to get a spot on the team. I’m looking forward to it. There’s no grudges at all; I’m going to help him as much as I can. That’s the kind of player I am. “ (PBP)

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2009/05/17/greg-camarillo-davone-bess-discuss-receiver-competition/

No comments:

Post a Comment