Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Solomon Elimimian named Jack Bonham Award winner

HA Note: "Warrior football player Solomon Elimimian and Rainbow Wahine track and field "Germanator" Annett Wichmann, two of the most prolific athletes in University of Hawai'i history, were named Jack Bonham Award winners at last night's Scholar-Athlete Dinner at the Stan Sheriff Center. The award is given annually to the top male and female senior student-athlete who "best exemplifies the ideals for which Jack Bonham stood for in the areas of athletic excellence, academic achievement, public service, leadership and character." Bonham, former UH assistant athletics director, died in a 1974 plane crash."

About how he had a difficult freshman year because he was homesick, Sol said:
"Hawai'i is totally different than South Central L.A.. I would spend $400 to come home for two or three days, that's how homesick I was. But now I'm already starting to miss Hawai'i — how the people embraced me and treated me and my family ... that's something I'll always be grateful for. It will always have a place in my heart." (HA)

Wishing he enjoyed his college years more, Sol said:
"I remember all the guys telling me I was going to miss college, make the most of it, enjoy it, have fun. I didn't realize that. I was so anxious to move to the next stage in my life so I didn't take heed. The big thing I'd tell somebody now is to enjoy the time you have and understand it's going to come to an end, and when it does you want to look back and know you used that time well." (HA)

http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090429/SPORTS02/904290392/1312&template=UHSports

No comments:

Post a Comment