Friday, April 24, 2009

Malcolm Lane ended the last spring practice with a 70-yard TD

About how they ended yesterday's practice with 2-minute drills between the Mauka and Makai teams that will face off during the Warrior Bowl tomorrow, Mac said:
"That was a sample of what's going to happen this weekend." (HA)

HA Note: "It also was a flashback as to why wideout Malcolm Lane is expected to be one of the Warriors' top weapons this coming season. Lane, playing for the Makai team, and quarterback Brent Rausch teamed on a 70-yard, catch-and-strut touchdown play."

About how his experience gives him an edge in the battle for playing time, Malcolm Lane said:
"That was three seasons of coverages in games. I give a lot of credit to (offensive coordinator) Ron Lee." (HA)

HA Note: "Lane, aligned on the right side, was given a "choice route," in which he had the option of running a post pattern or a fade route along the right sideline. The Mauka team was in a two-deep zone, with cornerback Tank Hopkins in tight coverage and safety Mana Silva assigned to Lane's half of the field."

About the route he ran, Lane said:
"On that type of play — a cover-2 — I have to set the corner, then fade up the sideline." (HA)

HA Note: "It was a coverage Lane, who is averaging 17.0 yards per catch in his UH career, has seen often. The wideout's decision is influenced by the cornerback's move. If Hopkins leans one way, Lane goes the other. Hopkins shaded to Lane's right, and Lane broke to the left. As Hopkins tried to follow, Lane cut back to the right. Rausch delivered a spiral between Hopkins and the on-charging Silva."

About his pass to Lane, Rausch said:
"It was a tight spot to throw it. Malcolm made it happen. Malcolm has the most experience (among the wideouts), and it definitely paid off on that." (HA)

About how they need to be able to read and react in their offense, Lane said:
"In this offense, you learn a lot about how to recognize zones, and how to get open, and how to get into the right places. That's what's good about this offense." (HA)

HA Note: "Most significant, at least to his younger teammates, was Lane's unabashed joy during the final Manoa practice of spring training. Lane had traded jerseys with slotback Rick Taylor, who did not practice because of a suspected hairline fracture in his right foot."

About trading jerseys with Taylor (who is 3 inches shorter than Lane), Lane said:
"We were playing around." (HA)

HA Note: "Lane has admittedly been on an emotional teeter-totter this semester. Soon after the 2008 Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl, he suffered from strep throat, a condition that caused him to lose several pounds and siphon his energy. Later, he suffered from pink eye. What's more, his thoughts often were on his stepfather, Michael Baldwin, who is stationed in Iraq."

About his stepfather being stationed in Iraq, Lane said:
"It's rough for me. My mom is lonely, sad, things like that. From that aspect, it bothers me. I'm a mama's boy. When my mom's sad, I'm sad. When my mom's happy, I'm happy." (HA)

"We know it's tough over there, but we talk to him every day on the computer. He's doing fine." (HA)

HA Note: "Catherine Baldwin retired after serving 22 years in the Army. Michael Baldwin is head of a military-police unit."

About how he wakes up at 5am to make the morning commute from Wahiawa, Lane said:
"It can be tiring. That's probably why I'm so down some days. I'm tired, and my body's worn out. But I've got to do what I've got to do. I can't miss practice. And I want to be out there every day with the guys." (HA)

Looking forward to the end of spring training because he missed so many offseason workouts due to illness, Lane said:
"I can't wait for spring to be over so I can start training again. I missed so many workouts over the spring semester. I want to train through the summer. I'm going into my senior year, and I want to have the best season possible, and be in the best condition." (HA)

"I'm just looking forward as soon as spring is over getting right back to work for next year." (HSB)

About scoring the TD to end their practice, Lane said:
"When you're in the end zone and you score and you look back and the whole team is running down after you, that's what makes football so much fun." (HSB)

Expecting the Warrior Bowl to be competitive, with some looking to get revenge for his TD yesterday, Lane said:
"I want this game to be as competitive as possible. All of us are competitive people and everybody wants to win. I know there's going to be a couple people looking for my head, but that comes with the turf." (HSB)

http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090424/SPORTS0201/904240382/1312&template=UHSports

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/sportsnews/20090424_Lane_ends_springs_final_practice_with_exclamation_point.html

No comments:

Post a Comment