Sunday, February 1, 2009

Recruiting updates from the Star-Bulletin

About why he wants to go straight to UH and avoid needing to play at a junior college in the fall, James Smith said:
"If I take the junior college route, I'd have to wait two years (to graduate). You only get three years of D-I experience. I want to go straight to UH and get my experience, build my confidence." (HSB)

HSB Note: "If Smith, a Star-Bulletin All-State first-team football selection, can thrive in his academics this spring, a spot on the University of Hawaii roster may be in his future. The academic part: passing Algebra II -- a UH requirement -- and recording a solid score on his SAT in March. At 5-foot-11, 190 pounds, his play at safety was one of many defensive strengths for the Governors." Several of his teammates, All-State selections in their own right, will play at junior colleges this fall. For Smith, JC is Plan B.

About how Rich Miano has been his contact to the UH coaching staff, Smith said:
"He likes the way I play. My techniques and the way I get over the top." (HSB)

HSB Note: "Simione Vehikite raised eyebrows last week by making a visit to Washington even though he had committed to USC. Vehikite (6-1, 245) had been on Hawaii's radar early in the season, going back to UH's summer camp. Vehikite, who is not yet a qualifier, was not offered by the Warriors and he nearly fell through the cracks. However, then-USC assistant coach Steve Sarkisian was intrigued with Vehikite. After he watched the Hawaii/Polynesia vs. Mainland Bowl live on Fox Sports West, the Trojans offered the Hurricanes senior a scholarship. Vehikite figures to play at fullback in USC's West Coast offense."

No comments:

Post a Comment