Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Feature Interview with UH Coach Greg McMackin

About how he and Ron Lee drew plays on napkins recently, Mac said:
"I'm sitting down to lunch with my offensive coordinator. We went through a bunch of cut-ups today. We see a lot of fun things we can do." (HSB)

HSB Note: "As last season wore on, Lee took more and more heat for play calling. Some suggested McMackin was vetoing many of his calls, but there was never evidence of it, and the two remain loyal old friends."

About how they need to improve, Mac said:
"Things happened. How do you say it? There were phases that broke down. We're working to improve that. There are a lot of things we need to get better at." (HSB)

Asked last year when he would get to take a breather, Mac said:
"I don't have time. This is what I've been working toward my whole career." (HSB)

About how it is important to keep learning and work through adversity, Mac said:
"I've coached for a lot of years, but I know you have to keep learning every year. I learned it's important to really work for completion and perfection. Last year's team, they were great the way they worked through adversity, and the way they had trust in each other. They were 1-3 at one time and because everyone believed in each other, the team went to a bowl game." (HSB)

No comments:

Post a Comment